FORUMS: list search recent posts

Rotation conundrum

COW Forums : Zaxwerks

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ken Latman
Rotation conundrum
on Sep 12, 2008 at 7:57:22 pm

I am having some difficulty getting some objects to rotate a number of time and then decay so that the face of cylinder is exactly were I want it.

I made a slot machine with three dials in ProAnimator and I used 3 primitives of cylinder to be my tumblers. I mapped my own artwork onto the tumblers and through trial and error I figured out at which rotation each of my faces comes up.

Cherries appear at a 140 degree mark
Bells at a 60 degree mark
Bar is at 0 and 360 degree mark
Seven is at 290 degree mark
Company Logo is at 225 degree mark.

In order to spin real fast I need to rotate a number of times in a short period (basic physics)
Is there a simpler way then through trail and error to determine how many rotations make a large number?
I figured for the company logo face in order to get 4 rotations I need to be 1665, 6 rotations 3464. It becomes cumbersome when I try to create decay. I'll make a new pose before my final rotation, go up a bit in the final number. Make another pose, have that go down from the final number. It just doesn't look as nice as I would want it.

I keep adjusting transition ease amounts and testing my renders over and over again. There has to be a better way. If I set up a Pose action and just set the rotation of a full circle, does that rotate from my start point and continues a in the number of rotations?

Any help is much appreciated.

Return to posts index

Jon Okerstrom
Re: Rotation conundrum
on Sep 13, 2008 at 6:45:20 am

Hi Ken,

Sounds like a really great project. I'd love to see it when you're done.

One thought: Instead of trying to manipulate the spin with ProAnimator, have you considered animating the movie of what's mapped to the cylinder and leaving the cylinder static? You might get much more control without the limitations ProAnimator's motion control system creates in this unique circumstance.

Jon

Return to posts index

Ken Latman
Re: Rotation conundrum
on Sep 13, 2008 at 12:46:41 pm

Jon,

That is a really great idea! I had not thought of that. If I set up a repeat in AE and have that controlled by key frames and have that mapped, I might just get what I need. I will try it when I get back to work on Monday. Thanks so much for that great insite!

Ken

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]