FORUMS: list search recent posts

Pie chart question

COW Forums : Zaxwerks

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ken Latman
Pie chart question
on Mar 28, 2008 at 2:10:45 pm

I want to make a pie chart that animates similar to what I have seen in Apple's keynote program. I would like the slices to be able to come apart and be some think 3D pieces.
Can this be done in ProAnimator? I think it can if you can your matte material can be an animated layer. Am I correct in this assumption? I will play around with it to figure if it can work.

Return to posts index

Jon Okerstrom
Re: Pie chart question
on Mar 29, 2008 at 4:09:44 am

Hi Ken,

This should be simple as... well... pie! I would suggest building your "pie" in Illustrator by creating a circle and cutting it into pieces using pathfinder. From there, I would put each piece on a different named layer. Then import into ProAnimator using layers. This will make it easier to select the pieces and move them to different object tracks, if that's an option you want.

Jon

Return to posts index

Ken Latman
on Mar 29, 2008 at 12:39:01 pm

Thanks John.

I was able to do that but the issue I am trying to figure out is how to make the slices come on screen and reveal themselves like that the pieces are growing to form a full circle.

I really would like to be able to have a glass look for my slices and have the ablity to pull one piece away from the complete circle at the end of the composition to the significance of that one percentage.

I have come across several tutorials to show how to do this in a standard way with AE, but you can not get that true 3D look that I see in Keynote. Am I missing something?

Harry Frank over at Greymachine has a great tutorial that uses expressions and radial wipe to get the effect I like, but how can I do the same in ProAnimator?

I tried making a second object to use as a matte, to block the appearance of my shapes, but I just looks like a radar sweep. I can not get the shape to expand properly to give that radial sweep of the pie piece.

Return to posts index

Jon Okerstrom
on Mar 29, 2008 at 12:56:28 pm

If you actually want to have the slices grow, layer cycling could do it. Look up the tutorial on that and let us know if that might work. I can go into greater detail when I have more time, if you like.

Jon

Return to posts index

Ken Latman
on Mar 30, 2008 at 3:21:11 pm

Thanks John!
That does point me in the right direction. I forgot to look into layer sequences.

Now it only seems to take a long time to make all the slices animate with creating multiple layers for a pie chart. The blend method doesn't really work in this case.

Does anyone have a suggestion for the Illustrator part in building the sequence automatically?

If I were an Applescript master, I think you could make a action that would allow you to build the layer sequence out.

Return to posts index

Ken Latman
on Mar 31, 2008 at 1:19:14 am

Is there a limit to the number of layers you can have in the Illustrator document to bring into ProAnimator as a layer cycling object?

My illustrator file has 45 layers that I want to cycle but I'm not getting the whole animation when I bring it into ProAnimator.

I am creating a pie slice that goes from 1% to 80% for the most part in 1% increments.

Return to posts index

Jon Okerstrom
on Apr 2, 2008 at 12:00:25 am

Hi Ken,

I'm not aware of any limit. Be sure you have enough time in your animation for all of the frames to be seen - this essentially amounts to choosing the correct "frame rate." Also be sure that the settings are such that you start on the first and end on the last frame.

Jon

Return to posts index

Al Shisko
on Apr 16, 2008 at 7:21:56 pm

I'm unfamiliar with the "keynote" effect, but this blog post might help...

http://shisko.blogspot.com/2007/05/animating-3d-pie-charts.html

Regards,

Alan

Return to posts index

Ron Lindeboom
on Apr 16, 2008 at 8:30:25 pm

Luckily I caught the fact that you had put greater-than and lesser-than brackets around your link, Alan. I removed them and so now the link shows. If I hadn't it would not have showed and would have remained invisible.

Keep that in mind when you post here. The < and > tags are LINUX operator tags and we run under LINUX. When you use those tags, the OS treats them as an operator -- unless the HTML code is complete. Leave the tags off, our system is written to add the proper encoding for those who don't know how to code.

Ron Lindeboom

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]