FORUMS: list search recent posts

"Stardust" text, no faces?

COW Forums : Zaxwerks

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Urt Snabela
"Stardust" text, no faces?
on Dec 19, 2007 at 12:52:35 pm

Hey there!

This seems to be the easiest thing, but I can't get my head around it somehow.
I'd like to create the look of the text from the movie "Stardust" (http://www.apple.com/trailers/paramount/stardust/). It seems the letters don't have any front face, the bevel of the edges reach all the way to the front meeting in the center of the front face, basically eliminating the faces. After cranking every parameter in ProAnimator it seems there is no way of making this happen in a fashion that resembles the image. I got some hope after viewing the manual, the chapter on custom edges, and the Edge Example Single Closed-3 looked right for the job. But once in ProAnimator I found that it took the edge shape and sort of duplicated it, put a copy next to the other and a flat front face in between. But the very thing that makes the Stardust text look good is the absence of front faces. It has that chiseled look (I've tried those presets too).

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

Return to posts index

Jon Okerstrom
Re: "Stardust" text, no faces?
on Dec 20, 2007 at 2:40:26 am

Hi Urt,

Try using a medium-sized bevel and using a negative number for offset to make the front face get narrower.

Does this help?

Jon

Return to posts index

Urt Snabela
on Dec 28, 2007 at 7:51:05 am

Hi Jon, thanks for your time and reply.

Well, no it didn't really help. The negative offset very quickly produces spikes, that the spikebuster can overcome, but also gaps in the font, which the spike buster can't overcome. The closest I've come so far is by using the first chiseled setting, using no back faces and a depth of about 8. I'm using Calisto MT (caps) which seems to be the font closest to the original. I think the problem is the fact that it's a serif font, which means that when Proanimator makes a negative offset to narrow the front faces, it narrows them equally in narrow places (like the end of the letter "S") and in broad places (like the bend of the letter "D"). So the narrow places gets narrowed quickly, and when I keep increasing the negative offset to narrow in on the broader places, the spikes appear. Or if I increase the edge scale beyond 100, the already narrow places start overlapping each other, giving rise to wierd looks before being able to close the broader faces.

Er, did that make sense? :)

Anyway, it seems to me that this very thing is to be produced in another 3d package, where you could manually adjust the center spline of a font to make a ridge that dynamically chisels over narrow and broad areas. Or could this be done in Proanimator?

Thank you
Urt

Return to posts index

Jon Okerstrom
on Dec 28, 2007 at 2:22:18 pm

Hi Urt,

If offset in ProAnimator won't get you there, why not try modifying the text objects in Illustrator instead. It may give you more flexibility and control in some ways.

First, convert your text to outlines, then use the path>offset to create a new, narrower version of the font. The offset will reduce the scale equally around the object edges but may be easier to control how narrow the narrowest parts become. Then, import the illustrator file into ProAnimator and apply the bevel of your choice.

Hope this helps.

Jon

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]