FORUMS: list search recent posts

Pre Purchase Question 3d Warps -- Folding

COW Forums : Zaxwerks

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
David Jolosky
Pre Purchase Question 3d Warps -- Folding
on Oct 4, 2007 at 12:19:07 am

I read on the Zax site that 3d Warp can do up to 3 warps per image (is that correct?). I'm working on a project that requires folding and unfolding map images (think treasure maps). Would 3d Warp do the trick to allow 4 or 5 folds down to a square shape, then unfold back?

Thanks much for answers

dj

Return to posts index

Zax Dow
Re: Pre Purchase Question 3d Warps -- Folding
on Oct 4, 2007 at 1:17:19 am

Hi David,

3D Warps won't do 5 folds all in the same plug-in. It would go from full to half to quarters to eighths, in one Warp. But not the other two folds.

You might be able to do some creative layer switching, though. For instance once the map was eighths-size you could switch to a smaller (unfolded) plane on a diferent layer that matched the size of the folder plane. Then you could continue folding the new plane three more times.

By the way, this is all speculation. Doing a completely flat fold may cause rendering problems. Before you get caught in a bad situation, I'd recommend that you download the demo version and try it out to find out whether you can do this for sure.

HIT: To fold a fold you'll have to set the warps to work in Global Space. See the Options window.

Best,
Zax

Return to posts index

David Jolosky
on Oct 4, 2007 at 1:30:58 am

Thanks for the quick reply Zax. I'll download the demo tonite and see if 8ths might be good enough for the project. Cheers and I'll keep you posted.

dj

Return to posts index

David Jolosky
on Oct 4, 2007 at 2:30:40 am

Zax, quick follow up. Downloaded the demo and it's pretty darn close. I am running into intersection problems, but I wonder if I do my folds right, I might get away with the folding down.

Any thoughts other than the original speculation greatly appreciated.

Return to posts index

Zax Dow
on Oct 5, 2007 at 2:06:39 am

Hi David,

I do have a suggestion. Rather than using folds, use really small bends. If you do a complete fold the two sides will end up being co-planar, causing the intersection problems you spotted. But if you use really tiny bends the two sides will still have a little space between them.

To do a tiny bend set the limits to a small number. The limits set the area within which the warp is applied, so a value of 10 will bend the plane only within 10 units of space. To compensate for the tiny limit area you'll have to use a very large bend amount.

And, as you'll find, doing a bend from center folds both sides of the paper at the same time, while using Bend One Side leaves one side where it is and bends the other side towards it.

Hope that helps,
Zax

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]