FORUMS: list search recent posts

Keeping the color from an illustrator file

COW Forums : Zaxwerks

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
paddyjitters
Keeping the color from an illustrator file
on May 24, 2007 at 7:08:04 pm

When I import an illustrator file into proanimator all of the original color is gone, how do I maintain the original color embeded in the file. Thanks for any help,

Patrick

Return to posts index

Serge
Re: Keeping the color from an illustrator file
on May 24, 2007 at 7:48:46 pm

Hi,

You must check the "Use illustrator Colors" Box in the import window. It's right under "Open as layer cycle object"

Your fill colors will be applied to the faces and your stroke colors to the edges of your objects.

Gradients and such won't work, you know that right?

Salut.
Serge

"InvigoMany" On sale here:http://www.nyc-visual.com

Return to posts index

paddyjitters
on May 24, 2007 at 8:20:39 pm

Thanks for your help. Ive tried doing as you said, if the illustrator file still comes in as a solid color is that a problem with the illustrator file? Im kind of a novice when it coms to both of these programs so I appreciate any input!

Patrick

Return to posts index

Jon Okerstrom
on May 24, 2007 at 11:26:35 pm

Patrick, all of the objects are in the same position on the Z axis (front to back. If you move some forward and others backward, or change the depth of some, the objects will not appear all mushed together.

Jon

Return to posts index

EditGuppy
on Jun 2, 2007 at 9:04:22 pm

Serge...

No gradiants? Is there any way to fake it? I have an object with two different gradiants in it, and while I can get the object itself in with no problem, I can't skin it at all. Any ideas?

Thanks for reading!
Kevin Kefgen
Edit Guppy Post Production
Las Vegas, Nevada

Return to posts index

Jon Okerstrom
on Jun 2, 2007 at 11:56:53 pm

Kevin,

It's a pretty simple process.

Open your Illustrator document in Photoshop... this will convert your gradient to a bit-mapped graphic which you can save as a tga file.

You can now apply this image to your 3D object either as part of a conventional material (use the material editor to create a material and select your tga file) or as a layermap if you want more control. It's important to crop the image because any border around the part you want will be applied to the object as well.

If any of this sounds cryptic, ask a question and we'll try to help.

Jon

Return to posts index

EditGuppy
on Jun 4, 2007 at 5:06:46 pm

Jon...

That did it! My problem was being afraid of the resizing. I thought that was gonna be a lotta hassle, not thinking about just cropping it to the same size as the original. Much thanks!

Another question, though... You said you have more control over the image map layer as opposed to the tga. How's so? Other than being able to offset the image map, I can't see much difference.

I realize that I am pretty good at AE, but every day, I also realize I know less than a quarter of what it can do!

Thanks for reading!
Kevin Kefgen
Las Vegas, Nevada

Return to posts index

Jon Okerstrom
on Jun 4, 2007 at 11:34:54 pm

Hi Kevin,

Using a layermap instead of a static image gives you lots of options. Want to create a traveling glint or glimmer on just part of the object where you've applied the image? Create a precomp containing the image to be layermapped and the effects, then make the precomp your layermap.

Want to animate transparency of the image in a creative way? Do it with by animating a grayscale layermap you've applied to the the transparency portion of the material.

There are so many possibilities I won't begin to name them. But I'm sure you get the idea.

Jon

Return to posts index

EditGuppy
on Jun 5, 2007 at 12:58:15 am

Jon...

I hadn't even thought about that, my friend! Thank you for the insight!

Thanks for reading!
Kevin Kefgen
Las Vegas, Nevada

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]