FORUMS: list search recent posts

Pro Animator into Motion and a PSD into illustrator

COW Forums : Zaxwerks

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
paddyjitters
Pro Animator into Motion and a PSD into illustrator
on May 24, 2007 at 3:51:41 pm

I have just purchased Pro Animator and I was wondering about its effectivness as a plug in for motion, is it successful? also I want to be able to convert a photoshop PSD into an illustrator file so that I may import it into Pro Animator how might I go about doing that? Thanks for any suggestions!

Patrick

Return to posts index

Jon Okerstrom
Re: Pro Animator into Motion and a PSD into illustrator
on May 24, 2007 at 4:12:54 pm

Patrick,

I can speak to the Photoshop question - ProAnimator relies on vector-based information in the Adobe Illustrator format. Photoshop is capable of exporting paths in Illustrator format, but it's very limiting compared to using the actual Illustrator program.

If you have a color bit-mapped logo in Photoshop you'll need to create a vector version based on that... and Illustrator is the best tool for that task. You do have the option of creating the basic shape and mapping the photoshop image to it.

Does this help?

Jon

Return to posts index

paddyjitters
on May 24, 2007 at 4:30:14 pm

Yes thank you so much!

Return to posts index

paddyjitters
on May 24, 2007 at 4:40:02 pm

One last thing, when I import a file into photoshop what is the best way to make vector paths out of it?
Again thanks for your help

Patrick

Return to posts index

paddyjitters
on May 24, 2007 at 4:56:23 pm

What is the best way to make vector paths in illustrator?

Thanks!

Return to posts index

cowcowcow
Jon Okerstrom
on May 24, 2007 at 11:24:52 pm

The really short version of instructions:

Typically, I use the Photoshop art as a tempate. You can use the "place" command to drop the bit-mapped image into your Illustrator document.

You can lock the item or put it in a locked layer to keep it from moving.

Now use the various Illustrator tools to build the same picture in vectors. The pen tool can be used to follow the lines around a particular shape. It's best to make closed paths and to use fill rather than strokes. If you have basic Illustrator skills, you should be able to do this fairly simply.

To make things really flexible, you can put each shape on a different named layer. If the Photoshop art has text in it, it's often faster to determine the font used, retype the text using the text tool and convert the resulting text into outlines.

Does this help?

Jon

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]