FORUMS: list search recent posts

Crystal-Glass Logo look

COW Forums : Zaxwerks

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
dinamaria
Crystal-Glass Logo look
on Jan 31, 2007 at 11:14:31 pm

Hey,
I'm using AE 6.5 and Zax Invig Pro. I'm looking to get that classic 3D Logo extrude thingy where the logo looks like it's made of crystal or thick glass with all sorts of light reflections happening as the camera rotates around it. I've come pretty close but it's definitely missing something.
I extruded the logo from an Illustrator file. I set the trasparency and reflections to what the manual suggested for the best "glass" look. (Yes...I read the manual!!). I even duped the Logo layer so I could have the Front Face on the top layer and then the Sides and Back Side on the 2nd layer and played with trasparencies and transfer modes between the two Logo layers and the Logo layers and the background. I even made an Adjustment Layer that blurred the Back/Side Faces layer according to the Face layer above!
Phew!! I've gone through all the Cow tutorials and forums that deal with this subject and I haven't found the secret.
Any suggestions??
Thanks so much!!

Return to posts index

Jon Okerstrom
Re: Crystal-Glass Logo look
on Feb 1, 2007 at 1:26:12 am

HI dinamaria,

The glass materials are great, but they only go so far. Create your own reflection map based on colors from your scene. You can also fake refraction (bending of light rays as they move through the glass) by applying a mask and some distortion to the layer that's visible behind the glass object.

You can also add a variety of effects to get sparkles, glints and glows.

Jon

Return to posts index

Chris Poisson
on Feb 2, 2007 at 1:52:06 pm

Dina,

Don't know much about the glass thing, but you can map a tiff or targa of your logo to any face on the extrusion, all in one layer. The bitmap image must be cropped to the exact edges of the logo on all four sides. Put it in your comp and set up layer map 1 to be that layer, then apply it to your logo in the materials tab.

Return to posts index

dinamaria
on Feb 3, 2007 at 4:47:07 am

OK! Layer maps, I didn't try that one yet. Thanks for the tips.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]