FORUMS: list search recent posts

import a 3ds object into ProAnimator as single item

COW Forums : Zaxwerks

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Lajko1
import a 3ds object into ProAnimator as single item
on Jan 27, 2007 at 1:18:04 am

I import a 3ds object into ProAnimator and it comes in as 2 objects. That is OK as it is a bowling pin as 2 parts: the body of the pin and the base. I want them permenantly grouped because it is (to humans) one object. I find I always have to keep making hard groups of these 2 items. Is there a way to have ProAnimator always treat the bowling pin body and the base as a single object?

Return to posts index

Jon Okerstrom
Re: import a 3ds object into ProAnimator as single item
on Jan 27, 2007 at 2:18:10 am

Hi Lajko1,

You can make the two objects one in the 3D ap where they were made. The disadvantage to that is that you can apply just one material to one imported object and can't split edges as you can with native objects.

However, having it in parts gives you more texturing options.

Jon

Return to posts index

Lajko1
on Jan 27, 2007 at 3:13:04 am

Sorry to hear that a permanent or global grouping of some objects into one is not possible. I just bought Pro-Animator. Looking at the demo videos, it must be really hard to work with complex 3D things which consist of many parts. How do they do it?

It would be great if there were a way to group things which make up a 3D model. (Make "hard grouping" possible as a global setting rather than just a track setting.)

I doubt I will be able to make the complete bowling alley (as I can do in Cool-3D Studio) because I found there is no way to control which way a texture gets applied. (Plus the problem of treating all the parts as a single object) The wood texture of the bowling lane has to go the right direction or it just doesn't work. So controlling how a texture is wrapped around an object would be nice, too. any suggestions on this one?

Demo reel of some of what we've done in other programs can be seen at: http://www.cdesoftware.com/products/exciters/index.html

Return to posts index

Jon Okerstrom
on Jan 27, 2007 at 6:40:46 am

Hi Lajko1,

Like any 3D app, ProAnimator has both strengths and limitations. It's very, very good at easily controling complex motion for large numbers of objects. At the same time, it's not trying to be another Lightwave or Maya or Max. Character animation is not its intended use, so its modeling and animation features aren't oriented that way. Even so, I'd like to see parenting, deformation and object linkage options in either PA or Invigorator... if enough users want a feature, you can bet Zax and his team will do their best to add it.

As for your bowling alley project, forget about using imported pins. You can make a bowling pin quite simply, using a custom bevel. And because you're creating an edge profile, you can place the stripe around the neck, exactly where you want it.

Creating a bowling lane is equally simple, using a primative plane. or adding depth to a cross-section of the lane including gutters. And you can precisely control how your wood texture is applied to the object. There are some simple rules, but it works every time. Read your docs on materials and how they're applied to front and rear faces versus how they're applied to edges. That should clear things up very quickly.

If you need help getting started, let us know.

Jon

Return to posts index

Lajko1
on Jan 29, 2007 at 8:10:02 pm

I bought ProAnimator for the text motion to make captions for the bowling animations (things you see when you get a strike, spare, gutter, etc.) and digital signage. I do use different programs depending on what I need to make - as you said, different programs have different strengths.

In adding objects for building complex logos, global hard grouping would be a powerful addition. It would make creating and working with complex things much easier.

Return to posts index

Jon Okerstrom
on Jan 30, 2007 at 1:48:03 am

ProAnimator was a great choice for the kind of project you're describing!

Good luck and let us know if we can help.

Jon

Return to posts index

pukkascott
on Apr 27, 2007 at 12:59:51 am

This is a problem to me too. I want to put some furniture in a virtual picture gallery. The AE camera flies around so I got hold of some *.3ds models. Unfortunately they are very different sized images. When I try to scale the objects in Pro Invigorator (in Object stats) the elements resize out of alignment.

I have tried using tracking layers to position my objects but it takes ages to get one right and when I try to copy and replace a layer, the positioning of the object is totally different.

Can anyone offer some advice as to the best way of using 3ds models through Pro Invigorator while using After Effects own camera? Is there a clever way of pre-comping that I can't work out?

Thanks

Scott

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]