FORUMS: list search recent posts

floor reflection

COW Forums : Zaxwerks

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
RC
floor reflection
by
on Dec 7, 2006 at 2:41:46 pm

I just saw Jon's excellent article on simulating reflections with After Effects and Invigorator. Is there any way to come close to this effct using only Proanimator?
Thanks in advance.

Return to posts index

Jon Okerstrom
Re: floor reflection
on Dec 7, 2006 at 3:14:18 pm

Hi RC,

Thanks for the compliment. Glad you liked the tutorial. You can do the same thing with ProAnimator, but there are some differences and limitations.

The similarities:keep all of the animation happening at or above a certain point... 0 in the Y direction or whatever you determine the ground plane to be.

the differences:creating the mirror image in Invigorator is pretty straightforward... you can go beyond what I did by using expressions to tie the flipped version to the original version.

I haven't yet figured out how to easily create the "flipped version" using ProAnimator's behavioral approach to describing object movement and paths. You could try duplicating the original object track and adjusting the same parameters that were adjusted in the Invigorator version. You would also have to adjust the curves in the transition parts of the timeline.. that's where it could get tricky.

The simplest solution would be to use AE to composite the original movie and a flipped copy of the original movie, applying the transparency mask and other effects. The problem with this solution is it would probably fall apart with some camera moves.

If anyone has some great ideas on this, we'd love to hear them!

Jon

Return to posts index

RC
by
on Dec 7, 2006 at 3:18:39 pm

Good ideas, Jon. Thanks for the response. I'll play around and watch the thread for any other ideas.

Return to posts index

Bill Triplett
on Jan 24, 2008 at 7:07:07 pm

Can't find the tutorial. Is it still available?

Return to posts index

Jon Okerstrom
on Jan 25, 2008 at 2:35:10 am

Yes, Bill.

Here you go:

http://library.creativecow.net/articles/okerstrom_jon/reflections.php

Jon

Return to posts index

Jon Okerstrom
on Jan 25, 2008 at 2:35:17 am