FORUMS: list search recent posts

Creating a disc (pie chart) with edge colours matching front colours automatically.

COW Forums : Zaxwerks

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jason Allen
Creating a disc (pie chart) with edge colours matching front colours automatically.
on Dec 4, 2006 at 3:14:23 am

Hi there,

This will probably be described awfully. sorry upfront.

I need to make a pie chart with a little depth. It's a colour coded scoreboard, so every minute or so the size of each segment will alter to show each players score as a percentage of the whole.

I haven't thought through how Ill do the front layer map with the altering segments, but i think it'll be easier enough. the edges im worried about. I know using split points I can edit the materials and colours heading back in z space on the edges, but I need to break colours at a 90 degree agnle to this to make the different pie segments disctinct. the segments will all be joined, its not like the ppie pieces will come out from the pie - just a static extruded disc shape with colour mapped to look like segments.

Is there and easy way to basically extrude my front layer map down the sides aswell, or would i have to set up a second layer map for use on the edges? Because that would take much more work and i think it will be very difficult to get the join points to match up with the face joins.

I hope this makes sense, that there is a simple solution im overlooking and that someone here can give me any hints.

Thanks very much everyone.

Sincerely,
Jason Allen

Return to posts index

Jon Okerstrom
Re: Creating a disc (pie chart) with edge colours matching front colours automatically.
on Dec 4, 2006 at 2:15:53 pm

Jason,

You can't get the maps you're using on the front faces to essentially bend around the edges. You would need to map the edges separately... the edges start from the lowest, leftest point on the model and need to be like a ribbon that wraps around the object. Your map will be very long and very short. The aspect ratio is the same as the distance around the object (wide) by the depth or height of the edge. (tall).

Hope this helps.

Jon

Return to posts index

Jason Allen
Re: Creating a disc (pie chart) with edge colours matching front colours automatically.
on Dec 5, 2006 at 8:49:55 am

Thanks Jon,

Thats exactly as I thought. Was just hoping there be some other way so I didn't have to do all the math.

Thanks anyhow.

Jase

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]