FORUMS: list search recent posts

Need help mapping text on to half cylinder.

COW Forums : Zaxwerks

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Russ
Need help mapping text on to half cylinder.
by
on Sep 23, 2006 at 9:28:23 am

Hi,

I am trying to map some moving text onto the ouside of a half cylinder. I have made a circle in illustrator, used this as my 3D object. I have placed the layer map texture on the beveled part of the object and add transparency.
This all working great except....I do not want to see the texture part showing up on the flat side of the cylinder. How do I prevent this from happening?

Thanks,

Russ

Return to posts index

Jon Okerstrom
Re: Need help mapping text on to half cylinder.
on Sep 23, 2006 at 12:10:34 pm

Hi Russ,

Above the set-up window, click the material set-up button. That will bring up a cross section of your object with six bays into which you can place different materials. Simply drop whatever material you want into one of the empty bins and drag the number to the part of the cross section where you want it to be applied. You can split edge cross sections as well. If you need help with that, please let us know.

Jon

Return to posts index

Russ
by
on Sep 24, 2006 at 2:45:11 am

John,

Thanks for the reply. The use of the materials is great but still does not solve the problem. Things would work for me if invigorator used open paths...but it does not appear to do this.

I have sent my makeup file to your address. Hopefully you can see an easy solution.

Thanks,

Russ

Return to posts index

Jon Okerstrom
on Sep 24, 2006 at 3:07:00 am

Hi Russ,

Thanks for the file. It helps me to understand what you're doing.

A couple of comments: You've used a 100 percent transparent material on the front and rear faces of the object. You can avoid having to deal with any materials at all by unclicking the front and rear faces under the objects tab. They won't be seen.

Second, I think you're saying you don't want the text to appear on its entire path around the edge of the object. You can do this by adding masks to the left and/or right edges of the text layer. Use the masks to make the text insvisible for part of its motion across the layer. Another way to do it would be to create visibililty keyframes.. to turn the visibilty of the text on and off when you want it.

Does this help?

Jon

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]