FORUMS: list search recent posts

Matte color problems

COW Forums : Zaxwerks

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
CozmicOne
Matte color problems
on Aug 29, 2006 at 10:20:37 pm

In AE when I apply a matte color to an Invigorator surface, tell Layer Map 1 what layer to use as the matte, and select Composite On Original the color of the solid I created the Invigorated object on appears behind the 3d object, blocking out every layer underneath it.

Am I misunderstanding how this works or have I missed something?

I wasn't able to watch the Zaxwerks Matte Color tutorial, the page isn't functioning.

Return to posts index

Jon Okerstrom
Re: Matte color problems
on Aug 31, 2006 at 1:38:55 am

Hi CozmicOne,

It sounds like the effect is working properly.

Applying the matte color to a portion of the Invigorator object makes it that surface and all object parts behind it invisible - it creates an alpha channel through which layers beneath it can be seen.

You can't apply a layer map to the part of the object to which a matte color is applied. You can apply a layer map to any other surface. It will behave just as if you applied a solid color material. The surfaces with matte color applied will still behave like an alpha channel. One important note: Be sure the layer map layer is hidden in the timeline. You don't need to see it. (click the eyeball off)

Checking the composite on original box reveals the original solid to which the Invigorator effect was applied - plus the Invigorator objects. The matte color of the "invisible" parts of the Invigorator object is retained. This allows whatever layers are beneath the object to show through the object, but not through the rest of the background.

I hope this helps. By the way, I checked the tutorial on this on the motionworks.com.au site and it loads fine for me.

Jon

Return to posts index

CozmicOne
on Aug 31, 2006 at 4:14:30 am

I think I see where my confusion lies. As the invigorated item was the only thing on the solid I was then seeing the solid color around it since it was compositing on the original solid.

Is there a way to have the solid transparent since I have multiple layers underneath the invigorated item that need to show behind it?

Return to posts index

Jon Okerstrom
on Aug 31, 2006 at 4:19:56 am

Hi CozmicOne,

Yes. simply precomp all of those semi-transparent layers (with attributes moved inside the precomp) and apply the Invigorator effect to the precomp.

Jon

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]