FORUMS: list search recent posts

importing scenes into AE

COW Forums : Zaxwerks

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
lemonauto
importing scenes into AE
on Aug 1, 2006 at 4:15:17 pm

I created a scene in stand alone and imported object info to AE.

When I replace the solids w/ the video/still clips it re-sizes the solid to fit the video/still.

How do I tell AE to retain the org. size and fit the v/s to the solid.

Return to posts index

Jon Okerstrom
Re: importing scenes into AE
on Aug 2, 2006 at 2:39:07 am

Hi lemonauto,

I'm not quite sure I understand. Let me try...

You've created an animation in ProAnimator, the standalone version.

You now want to use the plug-in to put the scene into After Effects but want to retain what you've done in the stand-alone.

What you need to do, in the standalone is to save the animation as a scene file. (exporting the 3D object is not the same as saving the scene file.)

In After Effects, apply the ProAnimator effect to a solid which you made the same size as the comp. Choose scene>create new scene. Now, in the effects control panel, click on the ProAnimator window to launch it and open the scene file you've previously saved.

That should do it. Right?

Jon

Return to posts index

lemonauto
on Aug 2, 2006 at 2:29:24 pm

Maybe I missed something...

Where can I import a scene into the plug-in version.
When I initiate the plug-in in AE it doesn't give me the option to open a scene.
I can't seem to find anything inside the plug that allows me to do that either.

My understanding was that I had to import the scene as a comp into AE.
From there I would get the option to import object info, camera info or both.
Once the import is complete PA presents a new comp with blue solids where the objects were
(4.0 addendum, pg. 40).
I get all that, however once I try to replace the layer/solids with new footage the size of the solid
changes to match the new footage, i.e. (layer that was 50 pix by 50 pix becomes 740 pix by 486 pix).
These new layers have a key frame at every frame so changing the scale to fit may compromise the animation.
All I am trying to do for now is figure out how I can replace those blue solids with footage and create multiple screens traveling in 3D space, and not change the size of the org. solid/layer.

Return to posts index

Jon Okerstrom
on Aug 3, 2006 at 5:44:12 am

We're talking about two different processes used for two different reasons.

I was describing how you can create an animation using the standalone version, save it as a scene, then use that complete animation and scene inside of after effects using the plug-in version. That process involves making the animation in ProAnimator standalone, launching AE, creating a comp-sized solid, applying ProAnimator effect, clicking on the ProAnimator logo in the effects panel to launch the ProAnimator app and opening the scene you saved from the standalone version.

I think you're talking about the ability to import motion data for camera and objects from a ProAnimator project into After Effects. The process generates solid placeholders the size of the elements in ProAnimator and the appropriate keyframes. Normally, it's LOTS of keyframes. You can replace those placeholder solids with other solids or precomps, which may or may not be the same size as the placeholder solid. It depends on the size of the replacement solids or precomps. This process is great for creating very smooth complex motion paths that would be difficult using the normal motion path tools for 3D layers inside of after effects.

Which is it you're wanting to do... and does this explanation help?

Jon

Return to posts index

lemonauto
on Aug 3, 2006 at 4:14:27 pm

Thank you for your help.

The second one.

I have imported object and camera info into AE,

Now I want to replace the place holders but retain their org. size,
keep everything the exact same just put video clips on the blue solids.

Thanks again.

Return to posts index

Jon Okerstrom
on Aug 3, 2006 at 10:54:31 pm

Hi lemonauto,

Okay, great. I'm not certain whether there's a way to automate or simplify the task of replacing the placeholder solids with solids of different sizes.

I'll look into that. In the meantime, you may have to look at the size attributes of the placeholder and manually change the size of the layer you're going to assign to it. Obviously, the aspect ratio (height - width) of the placeholder and the replacement layer need to be the same or you'll get some distortion.

Hope this helps.

Jon

Return to posts index

lemonauto
on Aug 4, 2006 at 12:12:02 am

Thanks' for your patience and understanding.

I figured I could change the size of the videos.(more work,work,work)
I guess I was really hoping there was some simple fix/step I had overlooked.

I could also create the motion w/ the proper aspect ratios.

If you find some simple drag and drop method... please let me know.

and again thank you.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]