FORUMS: list search recent posts

No holes in my image

COW Forums : Zaxwerks

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Joe Myers
No holes in my image
on Jul 26, 2006 at 1:29:10 pm

Hello there,

I am trying to create a 3D image of the Maserati sports car badge using Zaxwerks. I have used Zaxwerks to make 3D ojects before but the problem I have now is that the Maserati badge has 2 holes in it's centre which do not properly appear in the final AE image, although you can sometimes see faint indentations where you would expect to see the edges of the holes.

Here is my method. See if you can see where I am going wrong. I cut out the shape of the Maserati trident and the two holes within from a black solid layer in Illustrator. I create a white background layer and combine the two to create a flat image. I save it as an uncompressed '.ai' file. I then create a new layer in AE, apply Zaxwerks, import the image and it arrives in 3D but with no holes in it's centre.

One thing I have noticed is that I am unable to 'create outlines' before saving the Illustrator image as I would normally do.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Return to posts index

Jon Okerstrom
Re: No holes in my image
on Jul 26, 2006 at 6:15:55 pm

Joe,

If you're trying to cut holes in one Illustrator object with another illustrator object, you need to select the objects and use the path>make compound path command.

Do that and your holes will work fine.

Jon

Return to posts index

Joe Myers
on Jul 27, 2006 at 3:02:38 pm

Thanks for the suggestion, Jon. Unfortunately, I still can't get it to work. I'm sure you know what you are doing.....I'm just not getting it at this end. I have been using Select>all so the object outline and the two outlines of the holes within are visible in blue. Then object>compound path>make which cuts through the black object to the background to make the holes appear. However, when I get the image in to Zaxwerks the holes are still not there.

Any ideas?

Return to posts index

Jon Okerstrom
on Jul 27, 2006 at 5:55:47 pm

Sure.

Send me the file. I'll take a look at it.

jokerstrom1 (at) mac.com.

Jon

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]