FORUMS: list search recent posts

Proanimator texture mapping help

COW Forums : Zaxwerks

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
dfleming
Proanimator texture mapping help
on May 31, 2006 at 9:19:34 pm

Hello:

I have a .3ds model of a tree that I imported into Proanimator. Additionally, I have a targa file of the tree that I'm trying to add as a texture map. Can I get some very basic instructions about applying this image to the model? Everything I have tried has failed.

Dave

Return to posts index

Jon Okerstrom
Re: Proanimator texture mapping help
on Jun 1, 2006 at 12:09:41 am

Hi Dave,

The tree model must include UV mapping data when you import it. It's best to figure out your image mapping in the app where you created the tree. With UV data on the model, you can apply a texture map to the model by using the material editor. Create a new material, use the top thumbnail to choose the image. Drag the material ball onto the tree.

Jon

Return to posts index

dfleming
on Jun 1, 2006 at 12:43:12 pm

Thanks for the response, Jon. What exactly does "UV mapping data" mean? Ultra voilet is the only UV I'm familiar with!

df

Return to posts index

cowcow
Jon Okerstrom
on Jun 1, 2006 at 6:13:08 pm

Hi df,

UV mapping refers to a coordinate-based system for applying a 2D image to a 3D object. It can be very precise and is especially useful for mapping images to organic shapes.

The U and V refer to coordinates on the image, which are linked to specific locations on the 3D object, which are defined in X,Y and Z directions in 3d space. The methods for setting this up vary by the application used to model the object.

UV mappping is just one way of mapping images to objects. Many 3D apps support spherical, cylindrical and other methods... but so far as Invigorator or ProAnimator go, you need to set up UV mapping in the modeling application used, and include that data with the model, in a supported format.

I hope that helps.

Jon

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]