FORUMS: list search recent posts

Trying to create 3D sports team logo

COW Forums : Zaxwerks

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
shyguyjay18
Trying to create 3D sports team logo
on May 6, 2006 at 12:36:16 pm

Hey guys:

I'm doing some work for a local sports team and I'm trying to use their logo in Zaxwerks. I have an .AI file that is a path around the outside of the logo. When I bring that into Zaxwerks, It's basically a transparent thin outline of the border of the logo. How do I go about mapping the logo itself onto this shape? Or am I going about this entirely the wrong way? I'm still a rookie at Zaxwerks so thanks for any input you could provide.

Jay

Return to posts index

Jon Okerstrom
Re: Trying to create 3D sports team logo
on May 6, 2006 at 2:17:56 pm

Hi Jay,

In Illustrator, be sure your shape is a closed, filled shape. When you bring the basic shape into Invigorator, you'll get a 3D version of that shape with a default bevel. Adjust the depth and change the bevel to taste.

To apply the logo image to the front face, you can do it either as a standard image map or as a layermap.

The simplest way: Open your team logo document in Photoshop. Make the resolution high enough so the logo doesn't look pixelated when you're as close to it as you need to be. Be sure to crop the image so there's no border. The document should run edge to edge, because Invig will stretch the image to fit and any border is considered part of the image. Save the image as a tga file.

Back in Invigorator you'll want to create a new material in the material editor. Click the top texture map thumbnail and locate the logo image. You'll see that it's now applied to the sphere.

Now drag that material sphere onto the front face of your logo shape.

That should do it.

Jon

Return to posts index

shyguyjay18
on May 6, 2006 at 4:51:02 pm

Hey Jon:

Thanks for the help. Your plan worked perfectly. Just one more question. I am using an older version of Zaxwerks that doesn't have primitives. So I am using a tiny circle in Illustrator to create a sphere. I'm trying to make it look like a baseball. I have a square shape that has baseball stiches on it. When I map it onto the sphere, it distorts and doesn't really wrap around properly. You can see the seams of the 'wallpaper' where it joins. It's gonna fly by pretty quickly so it doesn't have to look perfect but is there a better way of doing this? Thanks again,

Jay

Return to posts index

Jon Okerstrom
on May 6, 2006 at 7:36:14 pm

Hi Jay,

The map image for the baseball needs to be made in a 2 wide by 1 high aspect ratio.

Serge's InvigoMany DVD has one that looks great. Check it out at the top of the postings.

Otherwise, you might find a usable baseball texture at 3dcafe.com.

Jon

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]