FORUMS: list search recent posts

How to import .3ds file into 3D Invigorator?

COW Forums : Zaxwerks

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
ljCharlie
How to import .3ds file into 3D Invigorator?
on Jan 24, 2006 at 4:58:11 am

I'm trying to import a .3ds file into 3D Invigorator and I'm having some problem. First of, I'm very new in this plugin that works inside of Adobe AE. I am able to import the .3ds file fine. There is no error or anything. The problem is the actual model is not showing. For example, I import an earth.3ds model from a free site and all I see is a dark red sphere showing on my comp in AE. I'm expecting to see the earth model but all Invig. gave me was a red sphere. How do I make it work? Many thanks for your help in advance.

Return to posts index

Matt Rhodes
Re: How to import .3ds file into 3D Invigorator?
on Jan 24, 2006 at 4:36:34 pm

Hi ljCharlie.

You can import .3ds geometry into the Invigorator (and ProAnimator).
You'll have to create and apply your own materials once
the model is inside of the Invigorator.

Let us know if you have any other questions.

m

Return to posts index

ljCharlie
on Jan 24, 2006 at 5:22:29 pm

Thank you so much for the help. So what I did is only importing the geometry and not the materials, correct? The reason I asked is because the jpg preview of the earth.3ds file I downloaded showed the sphere of an earth with all its color and everthing. It's not just a dark red color of sphere. So any instruction out there for applying material for me? Thanks!

Return to posts index

Jon Okerstrom
on Jan 26, 2006 at 2:32:03 am

Hi ljCharlie,

Applying an image to an object is a pretty straightforward process.

Essentially, it involves using the material editor to create a material (a combination of surface attributes which may include highlight sharpness and brightness, color, image, transparency map, bump map, reflection map, etc.)

The quickest solution in your case is to choose one of the solid colored material balls in the library and drag or double click it so it ends up in the material editor. Then, double click the top thumbnail box and navigate to your earth image. The image should now appear on the material sphere. Drag that material sphere on top of the object to which you wish to apply the image.

The only catch is that not all imported objects support these mapping features. Regardless, it would likely be simpler in your case to either use a primative sphere or to create a sphere the "old fashioned way" (using a very small circle object from Illustrator and applying half pipe bevel.) Then apply the earth image map to that.

Does this help?

Jon

Return to posts index

Amr Toukhy
on Jan 30, 2006 at 10:33:29 am

Dear Jon,

What type of objects support you method of texturing !

Thanks,
Amr

Return to posts index

Jon Okerstrom
on Jan 31, 2006 at 2:59:35 am

Hi Amr,

From the Zaxwerks FAQ about mapping materials to imported objects:

"At this time, the Invigorator supports UV-style mapping. Projection-style mapping like Spherical, Cylindrical and Planar is not yet supported. If a model has UV texture coordinates in the model file then a texture map can be applied to these models. At this time the file formats that contain UV coordinates are: Lightwave v7, and OBJ. Remember, the UV coordinates have to be created in the host modeler first, then saved into the model file."

Another thing you should know... you cannot split imported objects for texturing purposes, as you can do with native objects. If you need more than one texture, then break your imported object down into parts in the ap where you created it.

Does this help?

Jon

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]