Textures/Reflection Maps

COW Forums : Zaxwerks

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
dwaynne villiers
Textures/Reflection Maps
on Jan 22, 2006 at 10:26:36 pm

Hi, all -

Newbie question:

I just downloaded the 4.0 Pro demo and i have a question. How do you get quality relections from other layers in AE on the 3d objects. I'm tryign to get a realistic composite.

Dwaynne

Return to posts index

Jon Okerstrom
Re: Textures/Reflection Maps
on Jan 24, 2006 at 2:49:06 am

Hi Dwaynne,

You can use another After Effects layer for a reflection by using the layermapping feature. Essentially, this involves assigning your AE layer or precomp to a layermap number, and enabling that number next to the reflection map thumbnail in the material editor. Then apply that material to one or more face(s) of the object. You'll be able to adjust the amount of reflectivity, just as you can adjust specular highlights, transparency, etc for that material, even after you've aplied it. See the documentation or some of the on-line tutorials for more details about layermapping. Or ask a question here if you get stuck.

Depending on the look you're going after and the 3D shapes you're using, getting convincing results may require some additional manipulation of the reflection layermap.

Does this help?

Jon

Return to posts index

dwaynne villiers
Re: Textures/Reflection Maps
on Jan 27, 2006 at 8:24:36 am

Hi Jon -

John D pointed me to a tut he did that ilustrates your instrutions quite well. Thanks a lot!

Dwaynne

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]