FORUMS: list search recent posts

AE Error: Not enough memory

COW Forums : Zaxwerks

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Zach Hilton
AE Error: Not enough memory
on Nov 30, 2005 at 5:03:07 pm

Hi, I've read some forums on this issue, and many people have had similar issues as this. I can't get mine to work though. First time using it on this PC (3.06 Dual Xeon w/ 2 gigs of RAM) and when I apply the effect to a solid it gives me this error

After Effects error: Not enough memory to complete operation. (4) (25 ::16)

Any pointers on how to get it to work? Thanks!

Return to posts index

John Dickinson
Re: AE Error: Not enough memory
on Nov 30, 2005 at 10:12:33 pm

One thing that can cause these errors is corrupt fonts. Try removing fonts and see if that helps.

JD

John Dickinson
Motionworks
http://www.motionworks.com.au

Return to posts index

suzzie12
on Dec 3, 2005 at 5:18:03 pm

Like which fonts? There are a hundred. Any clues - anyone found any specific ones that seemed to help any? Also, how to pick pick out a corrupt font?
Do you do an exercise and type with 20 of them and look for one that has missing characters? Do you look at the file size of all the fonts and delete those that are smaller than 20% of average size?

Someone have a list of suspected fonts?

If this is a main users forum - why dont we get practical here and help one another out. There must be 50 memory error posts here - lets team up together and with the factory and post some real helpful rather than theoretical stuff.

Return to posts index

John Dickinson
on Dec 3, 2005 at 10:15:11 pm

I don't appreciate your post and find your criticism very annoying. I responded to that post because I was trying to HELP. That was not theory! I've had problems with memory errors in the past and removing fonts, then replacing them a few at a time until I found the culprit fixed my problem - this was recommended by Zaxwerks.

JD

John Dickinson
Motionworks

Return to posts index

Zach Hilton
on Dec 3, 2005 at 10:56:28 pm

Well, I DO appreciate the posts that were there. They were helpful, and I was able to correct the problem, although it wasn't a font problem...it was a driver problem for my Quadro FX 3000.

Return to posts index

suzzie12
on Dec 7, 2005 at 11:17:48 pm

John,

Sorry for the annoyance - didnt mean to be critical on purpose.

I get the memory errors 4 or 5 times a week myself also. It seemed to me that the phrase "memory error" occurred with very high frequency in the posts here with a strong user base represented and good factory presence on line.

This particular memory problem appears somewhat obtuse and occurrs in the strangest places and times in the program. My "theoretical" comment comes from a post that might go like this, "check for one out of of your 200 fonts being corrupt" - as opposed to - a practical user or factory rep saying " I deleted ariel black italic and Clerendon lite and my problem seemed to go away" or "make sure to double check video drivers with the newest Nvidia boards". A practical approach might be to mention what to look for in the 200 fonts like zero file sizes or entries that have no corresponding files, for example. Whatever insider, expert, or specific information that could be offered - by users and helpers - is what could make this forum even MORE helpful.

As a newer creative cow user - I might like to make one suggestion that occurrs to me. There are many posts here where a very kind hearted individual says, "send me your file and we will take a look at it". This is very friendly and helpful - BUT - I rarely find a followup comment back from the helper saying, "we found several un-closed paths that were causing the problem. We were able to solve the problem by completing the line with the pen tool with the control key held down". Just responding back to the user community AFTERWARD like that would be a great help to those of us with less than excellent proficiency in your products. Seems like the larger, more permanent community is missing some of the benefit of your wonderful help and observations.

I did see - and appreciate - that you were trying to be helpful - no dispute to that.

Return to posts index

John Dickinson
on Dec 7, 2005 at 11:27:17 pm

All of your suggestions are indeed very positive. Keep in mind also that many users, me included, work very busy full-time jobs and can't always take the time to write long posts. Often it's just a case of pointing someone in the right direction including searching in the years of archives here on the Cow to see if the question has been asked before. I'm certainly guilty of not following up the thread after helping someone with a file, I should do that more often. The person who was assisted should also consider doing a follow up. Unfortunately it's not always possible. If you have a specific technical problem you can also email Zaxwerks directly for assistance.

Oh and by the way, I don't work for Zaxwerks :)

best,

JD

John Dickinson
Motionworks

Return to posts index

suzzie12
on Dec 9, 2005 at 3:24:09 am

John,

I appreciate your helpful attitude. Thanks for hanging out around here and offering help to others - I can see many posts with your name on them.

You also replied to another post of mine and offered help there. I will send you the file and appreciate your looking at it.

I guess what my baseline difficulty is - is that im not feeling that there is alot of help and training around. This is one of the few places where I see a zax community - and I appreciate it - but I still have a fairly strong degree of difficulty advancing myself beyond a certain point with the products. I need some holes in my understanding patched up - some of them are quite basic and others are intermediate - like getting good ai import files from illustrator reliably - and that memory error problem Zach is having - I get those quite frequently at the most frustrating and critical times.

When I see a user community like this - I want it to be a great place where you can get real life solutions and insightful help.

Thanks for working a real job and helping us newbies out too!

Now if we all could find out where that odd memory error problem stems from - we would all be a lot saner.

Return to posts index

Zax Dow
on Dec 13, 2005 at 11:04:19 pm

Hi everyone,

I'm sorry about the ruffled feathers all the way around.

First, let it be said that I CAN'T STAND BUGS! We don't release one piece of software that we know has bugs. That being said, we don't have 1000 computers to test on so bugs are going to crop up that we don't know about. In order to find a bug we have to know about it, so never hesitate to write or call and we will go out of our way to get you up and running successfully. When you report a bug we are looking for patterns so make sure the bug happens more than once before you report it.

If you are having a problem please check our website's Troubleshooting page. Problems dealing with the Out Of Memory Error and Illustrator files are all listed on that page.

John has had the Out Of Memory error happen due fonts so that's going to be at the forefront of his mind. But that only happens after you try to open the Text Window or click on the Create 3D Text button. If you get the Out Of Memory error as soon as you add the effect then 99% of the time it is a driver problem. Drivers change every few weeks so they are very slippery fish. We try to keep up.

If you do get a Text Window crash then it's probably a bad font. I'll post a list of known bad fonts on the Troublshooting page but this is unfortunately a short list. People find their bad font and never tell us which one it is. The only way we can fix a bad font is to have the font sent to us. (Futura is a common culprit.)

If you are using the latest versions of our software you shouldn't have any trouble with Illustrator files unless you are using Illustrator CS2. The Invigorator will open native Illustrator (.ai) files created in every version of Illustrator from 88 to CS, but CS2 broke Adobe's own file format so you have to save it as Illustrator 10 or 8 to get a usable file. There is a whole chapter in the manual about prepping your Illustrator files and troubleshooting bad files. Once you know the basic steps you should have 100% success every time.

Hope this helps.
Zax

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]