FORUMS: list search recent posts

image mapping problem

COW Forums : Zaxwerks

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Betty Boop2
image mapping problem
on Nov 14, 2005 at 3:55:06 pm

I've studied John Dickinson's excellent tutorial on image mapping within 3D Invigorator and have been able to make it work on square or rectangular shapes...but my problem come in when I try to map to any other shape. For example, I'm working on a 3D model of a new Dr Pepper logo. The Dr Pepper type sits on a "oval" shape the oval shape has a lot of texturing and color blends that make it a good element to use as a image map.

I import the image-map file as a Illustrator .ai file, bring it into the timeline. Then within the Zaxwerks plug-in I assign the layer to the first position on the layer map drop down list. Then, with in the set-up window I create a new material, select absolute color and link the new material to the layer map. I then select the layer in to apply the map to. I then drag the material to that layer. The problem is that it does not fit the shape right-- It seems to fill from the bottom left, but only seem to fill about 80% (scale wise) of the shape. Any ideas for me?

Return to posts index

Matt Rhodes
Re: image mapping problem
on Nov 14, 2005 at 5:05:27 pm

Hello Ms. Boop 2.

Image maps applied to Invigorator objects are stretched to fit the extents of the outline.
Therefore, make sure your texture image doesn't have any extra white space around the left,
right, top, and bottom edges. That is, make sure the logo image goes to the left/right/top/bottom
edges of the texture map.

Let me know if you'd like to see an example.

Matt Rhodes
Zaxwerks, Inc.

Return to posts index

Betty Boop2
on Nov 14, 2005 at 5:20:10 pm

An example would be most helpfull. Thank you.

Return to posts index

Jon Okerstrom
on Nov 17, 2005 at 2:50:22 am

Building on Matt's observations...

My guess is that there may be a stray point or some other object in the Illustrator docuument, beyond the bounds of the intended logo. This unseen point or object would cause Invigorator to "stretch to fit" the logo incorrectly. If the unintended point or object is not beyond the height of the logo, it would affect left-to-right issues. If it's above or below the logo, it would affect the up/down placement of the logo.

If this is the case, or there is some other border element around the logo itself, you can either fix it in Illustrator or put the logo layer into a precomp that's of the correct aspect ratio and size to "crop" the image. Then assign the precomp as your layermap.

Does this help?

Jon

Return to posts index

Azad Howrami
on Jan 1, 2006 at 3:09:12 am

i got the same problem , but no one seems to know

any luck yet

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]