FORUMS: list search recent posts

Raster to vector issues

COW Forums : Zaxwerks

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Larry B
Raster to vector issues
on Jun 26, 2005 at 1:37:29 pm

Hello,

I'm using AE 6.5 with Invigorator Classic 3.0.9 to attempt to Invigorize a medical device with really bizarre results.

I'm trying Illustrator CS 2 (30 day trial)to vectorize my image. I've tried bringing the image in as both a psd and a jpg. I've tried the seemingly applicable presets (i.e. Photo High Fidelity)and am getting poor to miserable results. When I bring the AI file (saved v 8) into Zaxwerks, the device appears to have been imported with a background and/or there appear to be rods sticking out of my device.

I'm not too familiar with AI, but it seems like this should be easier and look better than any of the results I've acheived so far.

Is there something I'm missing? Compatibility with the versions I'm using? Is there a different product I should be looking into?

Thank you, in advance, for any guidance.

larry b.

Return to posts index

Jon Okerstrom
Re: Raster to vector issues
on Jun 28, 2005 at 12:48:51 am

Hi Larry,

I assume you're using CS2's new vectorizing tool to convert the image. It's essentially Adobe Streamline on steroids. I have it too, but frankly haven't used it for this purpose yet. Streamline was mostly useless for Invigorator because it created messy paths and needed lots of clean up in many cases.

In any case, the following tips may help:

Invigorator needs only the simplest of shapes. Filled solids work the best. I often place individual shapes on separate named layers in Illustrator to make organizing them easier in Invigorator.

Remove any bit-mapped elements and any vector-based gradients. Invigorator needs only the simplest of shapes.

The rods you refer to may be spikes, which Invigorator's spikebuster can help you control. You can also clean up the points in Illustrator if you zoom way in on them. You'll find sometimes the control handles are flpped around. Othertimes, the paths overlap or the angle between three points is too severe.

Before CS2, I'd gotten used to redrawing logos by hand to maintain ultimate control. Perhaps others will pipe in with their CS2 vectorizing experiences, but the best solution may be doing it by hand.

Does this help?

Jon

Return to posts index

Larry B
Re: Raster to vector issues
on Jun 28, 2005 at 1:32:54 pm

Thank you for your reply, Jon.

I was suspicious that a quick, do-it-all type vectorizer may be too good to be true.

Based on your insights, I guess I better start learning AI. . . beyond the magical auto-trace feature (I really hate "features" sometimes).

Thanks again,

Larry

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]