FORUMS: list search recent posts

Layering a 3D helmet

COW Forums : Zaxwerks

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
dckwin
Layering a 3D helmet
on May 17, 2005 at 3:43:43 am

Hello fellow Zaxwerkers.

I'm trying to create 3D helmets with the full NFL logos on the sides. While I've purchased the helmets in 3ds format, I'm having a tough time layer mapping them with anything but one color. No matter how big or small a file I attempt to map with, it seems to take the bottom corner color and make the whole helmet that color.

I assume I'll have to get a different 3d model. Any suggestions on which? I've already checked on Turbo Squid. Thanks!

Return to posts index

Zax Dow
Re: Layering a 3D helmet
on May 17, 2005 at 7:29:44 pm

Hi there,

Make sure you are using 4.0.4. A couple of versions ago we added auto-spherical mapping to imported objects which is exactly what you're looking for with a helmet.

Try this as a test. Apply an alignment grid to the helmet and take a look at what's happening to the map. An alignment grid is extremely useful when you are having trouble with maps. If you are unfamiliar with these little gems I've posted one here:

http://www.zaxwerks.com/downloads/AlignmentGrid_500x250.jpg

If this grid isn't the size that you are using for your layer map, just scale it to fit.

TIP: Since you are trying to apply a logo to only a part of a whole helmet, your layer map should really be a pre comp. That way you can put the logo in the center of the pre comp and the rest of the helmet will be colored with the background color of the pre comp.

Best,
Zax

Return to posts index

Zax Dow
Re: Layering a 3D helmet
on May 17, 2005 at 7:34:16 pm

. . . and if you are still seeing oddness, then send me the helmet and I'll check to see if there's a bug.

-Zax

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]