FORUMS: list search recent posts

Can't create 1080p 23.98 program

COW Forums : Media 100

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tim Voelker
Can't create 1080p 23.98 program
on Oct 28, 2016 at 2:53:25 pm

I can't seem to create a 1080p 23.98 program. The only option that's close is 1080psf 23.98, but that won't playback through HDMI for me. The clip is 23.98p and will playback through HDMI when previewed from the bin, but I can't create a 23.98p timeline that will playback to HDMI.

Return to posts index

Andrew Mehta
Re: Can't create 1080p 23.98 program
on Oct 30, 2016 at 2:18:39 pm

Damn. That's frustrating, if it plays fine in the bin.
Media 100's timelines really need to be more flexible in the resolutions and framerates they'll support.

What happens if you try a 1080p 23.97 timeline?
What happens if you make a composition clip in the 1080psf 23.98 timeline, double click it to open up Boris Red, and add your footage as a video track in Boris Red, and save back to Media 100?
I'm new to learning the difference between 1080p and psf, although from a few google results, it appears psf just offers more versatility if you later decide to output your progressive media as interlaced, due to the segmented fields in progressive segmented field/psf.
What's the audio like? Sometimes, when my media hasn't been accepted onto a timeline, it's due to the audio settings being wrong, rather than the video.

Obviously, I'm a bit clueless, and just asking questions instead of giving you a solid answer or solution to your problem.
There are options to ignore framerates when importing, and that may enable conversion to an accepted framerate upon import.
Or there are others apps you could use to convert to an accepted framerate prior to import.

I'm really coming with no wisdom on the topic here, so if you experiment, let us know what you discover, and I'll also share this post on the Facebook group, to see if anyone else is any wiser, - but yes... a wider range of resolution and framerate support is definitely on my requested features list, =P.

Although I haven't yet captured videogame footage at 60fps, most gaming media for Youtube is 1080p 60fps these days, and that's not a Media 100 option either, =P. That may be a problem for me, in the future, =S.

Return to posts index

Andrew Mehta
on Oct 30, 2016 at 2:31:12 pm

[Tim Voelker] "The only option that's close is 1080psf 23.98, but that won't playback through HDMI for me."

Oh wait - does it otherwise work fine with the timeline, - you just can't see it via HDMI?
If so, you probably need to set the output to progressive somewhere, as I'm getting the impression psf can be either progressive or interlaced.
Does the option exist in the Video Output preferences? Or elsewhere?
Again, am a little ignorant about psf, and this post merely represents a bit of amateur guesswork, =S.

Return to posts index

Tim Voelker
on Oct 31, 2016 at 12:58:14 pm

Yes, it's the playback through HDMI to the monitor that is the problem. The card is a Kona LHi that came bundled with an older version of Media 100. Other than this scenario it works fine. Media 100 has control of the card when it is open, so whatever the program specs are, that is the signal it outputs. HDMI psf output doesn't seem to work on any monitors I've tried. When you play it back in the bin, it's playing a 1080P signal of the source video, so it works. If I could create a 1080P 23.98 program I believe that would work too (as it does in FCP through the same card). You can't make your own custom program profiles that I can tell nor do I see a way to convert the psf signal to p on output. It's frustrating because all other resolutions and frame rates have a P option within the program settings, but 23.98 only has psf.

Return to posts index

Floh Peters
on Oct 31, 2016 at 4:10:38 pm

Unfortunately you cannot create a 1080/23.98p timeline within Media 100. When the HD formats were introduced, the Media 100 cards did not support 23.98p and 24p output, only psf output, which is outputting progressive frames over an interlaced connection. These days it would be possible with the Kona cards and can be done from a Bin, but unfortunately the timeline settings have not been updated to reflect that.

I guess it is not a big help, but Avid has the same limitation, outputting 23.98p timelines as psf over Kona cards.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]