FORUMS: list search recent posts

Using a Green Screen with Virtual Reality/ 360 Footage

COW Forums : VR (Virtual Reality)/360º Video

VIEW ALL   •   PRINT
Isabel Galwey
Using a Green Screen with Virtual Reality/ 360 Footage
on Jan 17, 2017 at 8:38:25 am

Hi,
I'm currently on the team making a video which requires a green screen, shot in 3D. Has anyone attempted this before? Any logistical/ practical tips on setting up a 360 green screen - what problems have you come across? How much leeway do you have in terms of patching? Did you green screen the ceiling too - or was this not necessary as it was edited out entirely?
Thank you!

Return to posts index

David Lawrence
Re: Using a Green Screen with Virtual Reality/ 360 Footage
on Jan 17, 2017 at 11:11:51 pm
Last Edited By David Lawrence on Jan 18, 2017 at 2:36:37 am

Hi Isabel,

While I haven't worked with 360 green screen compositing, I have done 3D green screen as well as complex in-situ 360 compositing. Typical best practices for green screen all still apply with 360 - i.e. full coverage of the subject, even lighting, and garage matting out large areas to avoid unnecessary keying.

With 3D, the challenge is placing the foreground layer on the correct stereoscopic z-plane to make it sit at the correct depth against the background. A 2D comp that seems perfect will look wrong in 3D unless you correctly set the convergence of your subject.

If you can, it's a good idea shoot some test footage and figure out your workflow for 360 and 3D before your actual production. Make sure you get a copy of Mettle Skybox Studio V2. For 360 work it's a must have and it has tools that assist with 3D compositing as well. Hope this helps!

linkedIn: http://lnkd.in/Cfz92F
vimeo: vimeo.com/album/2271696
web: propaganda.com
facebook: /dlawrence
twitter: @dhl

Return to posts index

Isabel Galwey
Re: Using a Green Screen with Virtual Reality/ 360 Footage
on Jan 18, 2017 at 2:42:17 am

Hi David! Thanks for your suggestions. We are only really involved with the preproduction / on-set side of the shoot. We want to make life as easy as possible for post-production, who are more experienced in this field. But we need to deliver them usable footage.

Return to posts index

VIEW ALL   •   PRINT
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]