FORUMS: list search recent posts

Simple 360 video camera and VR headset recommendation

COW Forums : VR (Virtual Reality)/360º Video

VIEW ALL   •   PRINT
Louis Jackson
Simple 360 video camera and VR headset recommendation
on May 1, 2018 at 9:26:05 am

Hello,

I work in a university and we are trying to develop a simple system to allow students to create 360 video and then load it into a VR headset. Ideally the process from start to finish would be relatively straightforward for beginners. We have no need for volumetric VR or gaming applications.

From research it looks like the GoPro Fusion might be a good option for the camera, but I have found it difficult to assess which VR headset would be most appropriate and how the process of loading the video onto the headsets works.

Can anyone offer any advice on the product and workflow please? I'd be very grateful.

Thanks vey much,

Louis

Return to posts index

David Lawrence
Re: Simple 360 video camera and VR headset recommendation
on May 3, 2018 at 10:59:54 pm

Hi Louis,

The GoPro Fusion is a good choice with excellent image quality and cross platform support for stitching. I also like the Yi 360 which also has outstanding picture quality which in some areas exceeds the Fusion. the downside of the Yi is that the Yi provided free stitching software is PC only so if you need something for a Mac-based workflow, you'd need to used something like Mistika VR

As far as headsets go, I'd recommend you look into the newly released Oculus Go.

https://www.oculus.com/go/

It's well designed, easy to use and inexpensive. Since you're doing 360, 3DoF is fine for your needs. It's easy to load the videos over USB. Hope this helps!

--dhl

linkedIn: http://lnkd.in/Cfz92F
vimeo: vimeo.com/dlawrence
web: propaganda.com
facebook: /dlawrence
twitter: @dhl

Return to posts index

Louis Jackson
Re: Simple 360 video camera and VR headset recommendation
on May 4, 2018 at 10:02:43 am

Hi David,

Thanks for your reply, that's very helpful.

Louis

Return to posts index

VIEW ALL   •   PRINT
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]