FORUMS: list search recent posts

Panasonic Plasmas (Walter)

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
dkearnes
Panasonic Plasmas (Walter)
on Mar 11, 2007 at 4:29:17 pm

Walter, I remember you talking about hanging a 42" in a different suite than the 50" you already had.
I was wondering if you could comment on the two. We have a 42" and are trying to decide between another 42" or going to the 50". Also, I think you mentioned that you feed your 42" analouge RGB. Is that the case with the 50" as well. How's the color setups etc hold up when switchig between HD and SD color spaces (if you even do that).

Thanks for the info!

Living On Tulsa Time!

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
Re: Panasonic Plasmas (Walter)
on Mar 11, 2007 at 6:15:58 pm

We put the 42" in the second suite because it's a smaller room and the 50" was simply too big for it. We run analog Component to both monitors from Kona 3 systems.

We don't use them for SD editing at all because SD doesn't look all that great on either of them and I really don't want to burn in the monitors with the 4:3 pillar box. I will say that the 42" is the newer "9" model and SD does look better on it than my 50" which is the older "8" model. SD does display a lot less color saturation than HD with both of them.

The big difference between the 50" and 42" is that the 50 is 720p native resolution and does a really nice job scaling 1080i. The 42" has to scale both 720p and 1080i, but it's still a gorgeous display and we do not really notice the scaling.

The only time we display SD on them is for clients who are in for a review and sometimes it's easier for multiple clients to look at the larger screens than the 20" and 14" CRT monitors.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
http://www.biscardicreative.com
HD Editorial & Animation for Food Network's "Good Eats"
HD Editorial for "Assignment Earth"

"I reject your reality and substitute my own!" - Adam Savage, Mythbusters

Return to posts index

Kevin Wild
on Mar 12, 2007 at 6:14:07 am

I'm with Walter on this. I have both the 50" and just received the 42" last week due to a smaller room and a killer deal on them at B&H right now. ($1050?) Anyways, both are great, great monitors for HD, but both are seriously bad for SD. I've found that to be the case with most HDTV's, though, so it's not a Panny thing. CRT's are still around for something! People also forget that on progressive displays, they won't be able to see field problems.

So, 42" should do you fine if you're working in HD.

Good luck!

KW

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Mar 13, 2007 at 12:33:06 am

[Kevin Wild] "but both are seriously bad for SD."

Kevin,

Is your 42" a new 9 series monitor or the older 8 series? If its the newer 9 series then something must be wrong, because mine displays SD beautifully.

DRW

Return to posts index

Timecode Multimedia
on Mar 15, 2007 at 2:28:43 pm

At our studio, we have the new 50PF9UK - 1080P. It is a beautiful plasma monitor.
We feed a digital signal through an HD/SD SDI input board. Everything looks great!
The component inputs are used to monitor a DVD player or any other analog signal.
We don't even bother with composite.

We are considering buying a second one for a smaller suite. We do not think it will hurt
to have another 50 incher in a secondary system as clients really love it.

The key with these plasmas is the extra HD/SD SDI board. It is kind of expensive though.
The card has been back ordered for a few months. We had to wait about 12 weeks for
it, but once installed WOW! can't be any happier.

Stuart Ferreyra
Timecode Multimedia
President
Santa Monica, CA 90025
http://www.timecodemultimedia.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]