FORUMS: list search recent posts

Back to the deck in SD

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
19daymac
Back to the deck in SD
on Mar 9, 2007 at 7:28:04 pm

Hey everyone,
I just stepped into a new job that has their system connected like this: from a sony HDV (firewire only) deck to a digital convergence box which down converts to sd, through sdi to a kona box, to the kona board, to the g5. Works fine for getting their hdv stuff into the computer in an easily editable way. The problem is that now they want to go back to the deck in SD (720x480 anamorphic). Is there a product that converts the kona sdi signal to firewire? or a simple card disable/re-enable thing? or do i make them buy another deck or what? I'm kinda new to this and haven't a clue what products to even research. Any help would be grand. thanks, Ian.

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
Re: Back to the deck in SD
on Mar 10, 2007 at 1:36:54 am

there is no way to master back to a HDV VTR, other than Firewire. Unfortunately, this will also apply to the new unreleased Sony HVR-1500. Sony doesn't really want you to master back to HDV - they have a slew of expensive VTRs (as low priced as the expensive HDW-1800) that they want you to use. This is an issue that many of my clients ask about - there is no real solution. The problem is Sony. The only thing you can do, if you are forced to master back to HDV, is to use Firewire.

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

Christopher Wright
on Mar 11, 2007 at 5:51:23 am

Exactly, Mr. Zelin!

I am still waiting for the standalone HDDVD recorder that will simply have a component RGB input so that I can output HD in realtime to a stinkin' HDDVD master! They have had the technology ready for four years!! Release it already you greedy SOBs! Only the Phillips standard DVD recorder has a RGB component input for recording, so at least I can get decent quality SD downconverts from my HD projects via the LH!

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Mar 11, 2007 at 2:50:14 pm

Mr. Wright -
I feel your pain, as I am often in the exact same situation as you are in .
Please remember that the Phillips DVD recorder that you talk about is a DVD+R recorder, and these disks
cannot be played back in the generic "Wal Mart" DVD player, which most people have - so proceed with caution - there is nothing worse than finishing your show, making a DVD master, and then your client can't see what you have just made for them !

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
on Mar 11, 2007 at 2:58:11 pm

[Bob Zelin] "Please remember that the Phillips DVD recorder that you talk about is a DVD+R recorder, and these disks
cannot be played back in the generic "Wal Mart" DVD player, which most people have - so proceed with caution -"

Knock on wood, we have had zero issues with clients and others playing back discs recorded on our Philips DVD Recorder which uses the +R discs. I've had two machines now over the past two years and so far have had nobody come back and say they could not play the disc, even discs I've sent overseas.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
http://www.biscardicreative.com
HD Editorial & Animation for Food Network's "Good Eats"
HD Editorial for "Assignment Earth"

"I reject your reality and substitute my own!" - Adam Savage, Mythbusters

Return to posts index

Christopher Wright
on Mar 11, 2007 at 8:43:08 pm

And actually, the most recent Philips DVD recorder (now at your local Best Buy for a whopping $149.00!) can record to DVD-R/(W), DVD+R/(W)and still has the component ins. Even when I did only have the model that recorded only to DVD+Rs, I would keep that as my DVD Master, and use the duplicating tower to make 8X DVD-Rs from that Master. Fortunately, I have never had a returned DVD from a client either!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]