FORUMS: list search recent posts

Leader LV 7700 and KONA 3

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
mike
Leader LV 7700 and KONA 3
by
on Mar 6, 2007 at 7:27:43 pm

It's a new piece of gear here at this place so bear with me, I'm also in an office and the offic and equipment are not mine...but

This Leader LV-7700 constantly has the GAMUT ERROR warning popping on whenever there's a hint of color in the highs or lows. RGB footage like after effects movies are fine of course, but it's flagging almost every clip as an error.

Any one using this, the color matrix is set to YCbCr - it's DV-50 material. The error configs are set to come on at 109.4 and -7.4 for warnings.

Any thoughts would be helpful, I don't want to just turn of the ERROR WARNING, but it's going off all the time.

FCP 5.1.2
KONA 3-3.3

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
Re: Leader LV 7700 and KONA 3
on Mar 7, 2007 at 12:19:29 am

I am confused what you want to accomplish. You dont' want to turn off the gamut error alarms, but you don't want it to go off on recognition of peaks ? You want it to average the levels above legal limit ?
It ain't gonna do that. Turn off your gamut error alarm in the MENU, and how about you WATCH THE SCOPE, and check the levels - this is what we've all done since the beginnnig of time.

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

mike
by
on Mar 7, 2007 at 12:45:13 am

Bob,

Everything is reading out of gamut . Even with the saturation all the way down. Leader thinks there may be a problem with it. Composit gamut is not out though during this error..just gamut. The point is, not matter what I try short of making things black and white, gamut error is always on...unless I convert the YUV clip to RGB and back (output a quicktime and reimporting basically)

Basically, just trying to distinguish between over 100 on the RGB parade and maxing out the color in the whites and blacks using the error warning. Even the Broadcast Safe in FINAL CUT doesn't remove the error either.

Does that make sense?

Forgive my ignorance... I know you excel in this area.

Return to posts index

mike
by
on Mar 7, 2007 at 1:05:37 am

Actually... if I color correct based on using the scope itself.... the I have a really ugly image heavy in RED OR BLUE in the dark areas but not NORMAL on the LEader scope. And Final Cut Black color values become brigher with the color in the WHOLE image not just the black. That's it flaw.

So it does appear something is weird. The SDI is run through it and coming back to HD monitor normal. But honestly, I can't color correct it back into safe at all unless I ignore the image and use the scope only.... Then the image looks hideous.

It's like a phasing issue type thing. I've done all the dust blowing, preference trashing, reload the driver what nots... it appears to be the scope somehow.

Thanks Bob...

Return to posts index

JeremyG
on Mar 7, 2007 at 1:18:20 am

Just as a test, try rendering the clip after cc and see what happens after that.

jeremy

Return to posts index

mike
by
on Mar 7, 2007 at 1:29:39 am

Same.

Return to posts index

mike
by
on Mar 7, 2007 at 1:31:04 am

What was your though Jeremy?

Return to posts index

JeremyG
on Mar 7, 2007 at 1:35:03 am

I see some funky luma shifts before and after rendering sometimes in 10 bit, just making sure it wasn't that. FCPs 10 bit workflow needs a little help.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Mar 7, 2007 at 4:00:26 am

Mike -
simply bring up FCP color bars, or use the Kona Control Panel test pattern color bars. Do your gammut alarms go off ? If they do, you definately have issues with your unit. Test patterns are designed for diagnosing problems like this - so use them !

bob Zelin

Return to posts index

The Edit Doctor
on Mar 7, 2007 at 6:46:01 am

Bob,

Yes, I've used the bars in FCP and KONA. The difference... Only full Field bars are on Kona setup ...when feed through the alarm doesn't go off. But FCP bars do, the reds are to saturated and there are colors out colors in the low blacks of the bottom left Boxes. There is a lot of color saturation in the lows based on the Bar version of the vectorscope.

The Kona bars look normal for the monitor and the fcp bars look normal for the monitor calibration YET the both get different results in the Scope.

I appreciate the thoughts. Apprarently a loaner is coming so this one can be examined yet I still don't quite understand the results.

So, Bob. With your Kona setup - puting up FCP bars through your rasterizer - the alarm is set for 109.4 yet it comes on with the bars and this doesn't happen to you, correct?

We've also now played back through SDI previous tapes that went through and passed QC (they even went through a broadcast legalizer at the dub house) and the bars on it cause and error almost 90 of it's footage contents as well. HD material too.

So, as in my original post.. I was just asking if I was missing a setting and that was why it kept inducing repeated erros. It's refreshing itself as well, but the errors keep coming. The only thing that works it to convert it into RGB colorspace then back int YUV. I can export a still of the FCP bars and when brought back in...they DO NOT trigger and error.

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Mar 8, 2007 at 3:12:31 am

I don't own an LV7700. You will find that only some stations (PBS for example) will scrutinize your tapes, others dont' give a crap what you send them.

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

mike
by
on Mar 8, 2007 at 5:05:01 pm

Yes... I have found that to be the case....

Unfortunately, they go to 3rd part QC BEFORE delivery and they scrutinize it. I mean... really scrutinize it.

Thanks, Bob for your help and wit.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]