FORUMS: list search recent posts

Quicktime Error -2048

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
christopherk
Quicktime Error -2048
on Mar 6, 2007 at 5:50:40 pm

I have been capturing with a KonaLH card on a G5 to DV. I'm using VirtualVTR. Occasionally, a clip will record and play back on a Mac... but not a PC. Most of the clips work, but a select few give me the 2048 error. Anyone had this problem? Better yet, any solutions? I can pull up the offending clips in FCP and edit with them, but not on the PC. Very frustrating. Thanks!

Return to posts index

JeremyG
Re: Quicktime Error -2048
on Mar 6, 2007 at 7:23:36 pm

The PC probably does not have the codec needed to play back the files.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

christopherk
on Mar 6, 2007 at 8:47:50 pm

It's just Quicktime DV, and it plays files recorded in the same way. It's just about 1/10th of them give this error while one that was captured on either side of it work fine.

Return to posts index

JeremyG
on Mar 6, 2007 at 9:17:54 pm

Why are you using Virtual VTR?

Return to posts index

christopherk
Long story
on Mar 7, 2007 at 2:17:20 pm

Basically, I'm recording our newscasts to DV for our department to make Proof-of-Performance spots. The short of it is every time our master-control-op puts our control room on the on the air, it triggers the VirtualVTR to start recording. FCP is overkill for that purpose, even if it could work. VirtualVTR is the right app for this.

Return to posts index

JeremyG
Re: Long story
on Mar 7, 2007 at 3:17:06 pm

Cool, that makes sense. i was just curious. I have no experience with VVTR. Have you tried to contact them about it? Does it have anything to do with the file name or structure on the pc side?

Return to posts index

christopherk
on Mar 7, 2007 at 3:47:38 pm

I'm actually working with them on another issue where one of the two systems we have periodically records at around 20fps. I was thinking maybe someone saw this problem in another application and could at least give me an idea how they fixed it.

Return to posts index

JeremyG
on Mar 7, 2007 at 3:54:14 pm

Have you tried using VTR Exchange? I am not sure if it has the automation that you need it to though. It's a F_R_E_E capture utility for use with a Kona card, and you don't need FCP.

http://www.aja.com/ajashare/AJA_VTR_Xchangev3.tar

Jeremy

Return to posts index

christopherk
Unfortunately the money is already spent...
on Mar 7, 2007 at 4:00:30 pm

Haven't tried it though... it may be worth a look. I think the problem I'm going to run into with it is the RS-422 control.

Return to posts index

JeremyG
Re: Unfortunately the money is already spent...
on Mar 7, 2007 at 4:16:52 pm

...and lack of it you mean? I am not sure if it absolutely NEEDS rs-422 to capture, actually I'm pretty sure it doesn't. It's a pretty smart application and can even capture your RP188 tc if your source is HD. You should download it read the release notes and manual. They are both short.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

christopherk
RS-422 is how we trigger the record.
on Mar 7, 2007 at 5:01:30 pm

We bought a GPI to RS-422 controller. So essentially, when the tally from the control room comes on, it sends a signal to the GPI controller which converts that to the "Play&Rec" command. When the tally goes off, it hits the "stop" button.

I'll mess around with VTR Exchange and see if it will work. Thanks for the tip!

Chris

Return to posts index

JeremyG
Re: RS-422 is how we trigger the record.
on Mar 7, 2007 at 5:07:40 pm

Good luck, bud. I hope it's all you need and a little more.

Return to posts index

christopherk
Re: RS-422 is how we trigger the record.
on Mar 7, 2007 at 5:13:00 pm

If it works, I'm gonna roll up into a little ball and cry for the $1400 I spent on 2 copies of VirtualVTR

Return to posts index

gary adcock
on Mar 7, 2007 at 4:22:01 pm

[christopherk] "The short of it is every time our master-control-op puts our control room on the on the air, it triggers the VirtualVTR to start recording. FCP is overkill for that purpose, even if it could work. VirtualVTR is the right app for this."

The VTR exchange app from AJA will do this also and its free.
I love the "grab function" that is great for screen shots or frame grabs....

gary adcock
Studio37
HD & Film Consultation
Post and Production Workflows

Return to posts index

chrispy
on Mar 8, 2007 at 2:19:19 am

Hi Christopherk,

If you figure out a way to trigger recording via GPI-RS422 conversion with the AJA VTR Exchange, appreciate if you can share it here as it can open up interesting projects opportunities for us.

-chrispy

Return to posts index

chrispy
on Mar 8, 2007 at 2:19:40 am

Hi Christopherk,

If you figure out a way to trigger recording via GPI-RS422 conversion with the AJA VTR Exchange, appreciate if you can share it here as it can open up interesting projects opportunities for us.

BTW, which GPI-RS422 converter are you using ?

-chrispy

Return to posts index

christopherk
GPI Converter
on Mar 8, 2007 at 5:18:20 pm

Hey Chrispy,

We're using the Vuetech GPI-Only box. However, they don't list it on their website. It's a fantastic product, and if there was enough interest, I would bet they'd bring it back. Basically, it's got 2 DB9 connectors on it, one for RS-422... and the other for the GPI's.

As far as VTR-Exchange goes... I'm going to try. I'm going to need to get engineering to make me a RS-422 cable for the Kona. Right now I'm using Stealth port on VirtualVTR and it doesn't recognize the GPI Converter. Our engineering department needs to get past a pretty big project to retire our Leitch commercial playback and put in a new Omneon server. Once that's over, I'll let you know.

My e-mail is cwkelly_2001 [at] yahoo.com. Just e-mail me there and I'll get right back to you.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]