FORUMS: list search recent posts

Kona LH AudioQuestion/Logic

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
winterfalleu
Kona LH AudioQuestion/Logic
on Mar 1, 2007 at 5:02:43 pm

I just got my pci-x LH card today will install it this eve. I also do some audio work in Logic Audio 7.

My question is how is the LH as a audio interface? With firewire interfaces you have some latency on the input audio.

I am thinking of getting rid of my firewire interface and using the LH card with a nice mixer for my analog audio input to the mac. I monitor my audio out with the macs lightpipe digital outs into a digital amplifier.

Does the kona lh have latency issues ? Is this even a good idea ;)

Thanks!

Return to posts index

ronnyron
Re: Kona LH AudioQuestion/Logic
on Mar 3, 2007 at 7:40:00 pm

I use Logic on occasion. LH is a great alternative to firewire devices.
The only latency I've seen is with my USB keyboard.
But since I'm not an audio guy, I'm sure its a setting issue....but not a big deal for me. Recording, mixing, and general fooling around has been uneventful with the Kona.

Ron

Return to posts index

winterfalleu
on Mar 6, 2007 at 1:59:11 pm

Cool, Thanks;) I also spoke with AJA they told me the latency would be much less than any firewire interface. They also warned me on mixers with phantom power. They said if I use a phantom powered mic on a mixer do use the mixers XLR outs, but to get quarter inch to male XLR adapters and go out the mixers line outs since the phantom power they said would fry the card.

Return to posts index

ronnyron
on Mar 6, 2007 at 3:35:13 pm

Oh yeah. thanks for the reminder as I have a VO session later today.
I just happened to be playing with Logic yesterday while preparing for todays VO.
I increased the I/O buffer and managed to get the latency down to almost nothing, but like I said, I'm sure there are more settings I could be working with.
Logic is a VERY deep but powerful program. I hope some of it is worked into FCP6.

Ron

Return to posts index

winterfalleu
on Mar 6, 2007 at 10:22:02 pm

From what I have heard one of the reasons apple bought logic was to use parts of it in FCP/Soundtrack. I think pieces were used in the 5 versions of FCP/ST.

Return to posts index

ronnyron
on Mar 6, 2007 at 11:02:46 pm

Yeah some what. We have more plugins to work with, but most would still agree that audio in FCP is not its strongest.
Hardcore audio work would be done in Logic or ProTools anyway, but I would like to see a better mixer, better GUI with audio plugins...similar to what we have with the 3-way color corrector...better/increased control surface interaction.
I'm not asking for the sky, just a better way to work with audio...like a gain, compressor or limiter that could be applied to a track via a mixer (like what we do in STP or Logic). Nothing major....just "up the game" a bit.

Ron

Return to posts index

pixeldustfilms
on Jul 17, 2007 at 7:15:53 pm

Hey guys,

I have a Kona LH and am considering Logic Pro. Based on this thread, it looks like the two play nicely together. Anyone using both successfully before I spend a thousand bucks on the software?

Thanks!

Gino

Return to posts index

ronnyron
on Jul 17, 2007 at 10:25:26 pm

Go for it...like I mentioned in the thread, I'm not an audio guy, but Logic works nicely for what I need. It plays well with the LH too. Its great for working with problem audio and complex mixes. OMF is solid from my experience. Big learning curve if you're not used to audio programs like ProTools, but its not to bad...learning it for video work is fairly painless.

Ron

Return to posts index

pixeldustfilms
on Jul 18, 2007 at 12:05:58 am

Great advice! Thanks for the "green!"

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]