FORUMS: list search recent posts

Monitoring upconvert not color accurate- any solution?

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
glenn chan
Monitoring upconvert not color accurate- any solution?
on Feb 27, 2007 at 4:30:35 am

This is not really a huge issue for me, but I'm curious if there is any solution to this.

I have both a 1080i 29.97 project and 480p 29.97 project open, with the same footage (the HD stuff downconverted to the 480p stuff using Quicktime conversion). Switching between the two projects (monitoring at 1080), I notice that the SD stuff looks wrong and a little too yellow. It sort of looks like the Kona card does not convert between the Rec. 601 and Rec. 709 luma co-efficients (which would explain this problem).

Is there some sort of fix to this? In my case it was just disturbing for me to see, since I thought that the downconvert went awry (which it didn't).

Return to posts index

David Battistella
Re: Monitoring upconvert not color accurate- any solution?
on Feb 27, 2007 at 6:21:49 am

You are looking at two completely different color spaces and the monitor needs to be set up propoerly (using the color bars with the blue gun of the monitor turned on) to set the monitor up for each color space.

HD and SD are different color spaces. so they should look different. each needs it's own separate color correction.

The downconversion does not compesate for the difference in color space.

David

Peace and Love :)

Return to posts index

glenn chan
on Feb 28, 2007 at 2:16:00 am

Hey David,
Thanks for the reply- I think the monitor may be able to apply the appropriate conversion. Didnt think of that. Hopefully I can make it to the next FCPUGTO meeting and bump into you there.

Glenn

Return to posts index

David Battistella
on Feb 28, 2007 at 4:44:59 am

Sure,

It's a greeat group and next months meeting will be great!

David

Peace and Love :)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]