FORUMS: list search recent posts

Is the Dell 2407 or 2707 up to....

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
david issko
Is the Dell 2407 or 2707 up to....
on Feb 18, 2007 at 7:52:37 pm

the challenge of being a reasonably accurate main hd monitor in a predominantly hdv sourced format environment, based on its price.

would it be better to spend the extra on the panasonic bt-lh2600 monitor?

thanks
david

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
Re: Is the Dell 2407 or 2707 up to....
on Feb 19, 2007 at 12:38:32 am

[david issko] "
would it be better to spend the extra on the panasonic bt-lh2600 monitor?"

Absolutely. I have the Dell 2407 as my main computer monitor, but would never use it as a main HD monitor. Better to spend the money on a 42" Panasonic Plasma screen instead of the Dell 2407.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
http://www.biscardicreative.com
HD Editorial & Animation for Food Network's "Good Eats"
HD Editorial for "Assignment Earth"

"I reject your reality and substitute my own!" - Adam Savage, Mythbusters

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Feb 19, 2007 at 12:42:51 am

With the Matrox MXO you can get darn good colors. I have judged it next to my Sony PVM-14L5 and they are very close. With the addition of an Eye-2-one calibration kit, you can make that monitor a color correction monitor.

Shane

Littlefrog Post
http://www.lfhd.net

Return to posts index

David Issko
on Feb 19, 2007 at 4:54:12 am

Thanks Walter,

Do you have the HD-SDI option installed as well?

David

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
on Feb 19, 2007 at 11:32:30 am

[David Issko] "
Thanks Walter,

Do you have the HD-SDI option installed as well?"

Nope, component only on both plasmas being fed by the Kona 3's.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Feb 19, 2007 at 1:14:50 am

The Dell 2407WFP is a great monitor, and looks teriffic for HD ONLY. It displays the full HD resolution, and works very well with the component output of the AJA products. It is horrible for standard def signals, however. A Sony HVRM-25U analog component HD signal looks great on this monitor. The Dell 2407 is the display used by the $8000 Terranex Clearview monitor.

The Panasonic TH-50PHD9UK that Walter refers to is fantastic, costs about $1799, and is a big 50" monitor. A great product.

The Panasonic BT-LH2600W is a 26" monitor, that will display up to a 1366x768 resolution (1080i looks very good, however). This is a very popular monitor, and has a built in "marginal but useful" HD waveform monitor. The unique part about this monitor is that Standard Def video looks very good on it. This monitor costs about $4000 at B+H.

If you have no money, and want to display HD only, the Dell is an excellent value. To repeat, if you intend to work in standard def resolutions, the image on a "Wal Mart $69 special" looks better than standard def on the Dell.

the rumors of the streaking noise in the 2407 was on the early release of this model, and there are no longer any issues.

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

Kevin Wild
on Feb 19, 2007 at 2:25:40 am

I have both the Dell 2407WFP and the Panny TH-50PHD9UK and I can say that I barely ever use the Dell any more. (Also, you should know that you need the BlackMagic DeckLink as well, to get a good SDI-DVI converter into the Dell...I guess an MXO would work, too, but I use the Decklink).

I'm with Bob that SD looks horrible on the Dell and is small on the screen as it's pixel-pixel. 720 is also smaller on the screen. Only 1080i/p fills the screen. I've had trouble setting up the black levels as the Dell is very bright and the utility that comes with Decklink is pretty bad, imo. Also, with 24F footage from the Canon, the screen flickers a little bit. I've never gotten to the root of this problem as I now just use the Panasonic.

By the way...that Panny is down to $1799? Sheesh...take a breath...don't look back, don't look back...

Kevin Wild
http://www.drawbridge.tv

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
on Feb 19, 2007 at 11:31:48 am

[Kevin Wild] "By the way...that Panny is down to $1799? Sheesh...take a breath...don't look back, don't look back.."

and the 42" is down around $1,200. Amazing how much they have dropped.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.

Return to posts index

David Issko
on Feb 19, 2007 at 4:58:37 am

As you have stated on this forum many, many times before, I will need LOTS of money in this industry, however not many of us do have lots of money - me included, so the 42" or 50" plasmas seem like a great happy medium between cost and performance.

I asked Walter whether he has the HD-SDI option in his 42" unit. Do you believe it necessary or will component do as an initial start?

Thanks
David

Return to posts index

Kevin Wild
on Feb 19, 2007 at 5:03:01 am

Not to hijack your question, but component works perfectly fine. I have Component out going to a VAC D.A. and the HD feed going to several places and it all looks great. I wouldn't pay the extra price for SDI, though others may disagree.

Kevin
http://www.drawbridge.tv

Return to posts index

David Battistella
on Feb 19, 2007 at 2:08:18 pm

Just on the Component vs. SDI issue. I have seen an upclose comparison from a K2 Component vs. SDI through the original Full 1080x1920 Sharp Aquos. A Miranda box was doing the conversion and pulldown to (the sharp doesn't recognize the 23.98 framerate). There was a huge difference in contrast and sharpness when viewing SDI vs. this DVI converter. It's a much cleaner signal with more contrast.

two cents.

David

Peace and Love :)

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Feb 19, 2007 at 10:09:59 pm

Almost 100% of my clients do things the cheapest way possible - so to answer your question - most people take the component HD Y Pb Pr signal, and go directly into the Panasonic 50" monitor - and it looks just fine. These same clients, on systems with the Dell 2407, do not use an AJA HDP or Blackmagic HD Link - they go directly into the analog component inputs of the 2407, and it looks just fine.

Sitting here and making critical judgements (as if we are looking at a Sony BVM series CRT monitor) is rediculous. These monitors work fine, for what they are, and by mid 2008, there will be better monitors out, for less money. If you want to get a functional HD monitor, you can pick any of these, with no options, and it will work just fine. There ain't no 10 year investments anymore (like people who bought a Sony PVM series monitor) - that world is over. If you get 3-4 years on a product today, its a miracle.

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

David Battistella
on Feb 20, 2007 at 4:27:27 pm

Bob,

Nothin' like a good old CRT.

d

Peace and Love :)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved