FORUMS: list search recent posts

Kona LH question

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
winterfalleu
Kona LH question
on Feb 18, 2007 at 5:31:00 am

Im looking at buying the pci-x version for my dual g5. Lately i have alot hdv projects and working with them and the render times is very slow. I have a radeon x800 graphic card and use FCP Studio 5 universal with saphire effects, shake and after effects 6.5.

How much of a speed improvement will there be working in fcp with hdv and does the card shorten the long render times ? My footage is allready captured otherwise I would capture it with LH and use dvcpro codec. Ill mainly be rendering the finished hdv projects out to hard disk for the client.

I want to get the lh and hi5 so I can monitor off my HD hdmi monitor. I have only only owned decklink cards in the past.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Kona LH question
on Feb 18, 2007 at 9:50:10 am

Capture cards do not increase render times. Not one of them.

Shane

Littlefrog Post
http://www.lfhd.net

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
on Feb 18, 2007 at 2:18:59 pm

[winterfalleu] "How much of a speed improvement will there be working in fcp with hdv and does the card shorten the long render times ?"

The only thing the LH adds is real-time scaling of the video to stretch it back out to full 1920x1080 during playback. This allows the processors to potentially add some realtime transitions and filters during playback that you do not get now.

As for rendering, nothing increases render speeds other than faster processors.

Of course the big thing you would get with the LH is the ability to convert your HDV to DVCPro HD during ingest and that would open you up to a lot more RT features just because that format is easier for the computer to work with than HDV. This is what we do with all our HDV originated projects.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
http://www.biscardicreative.com
HD Editorial & Animation for Food Network's "Good Eats"
HD Editorial for "Assignment Earth"

"I reject your reality and substitute my own!" - Adam Savage, Mythbusters

Return to posts index

winterfalleu
on Feb 18, 2007 at 5:58:17 pm

ok. thanks! So now my decision is to get a hdv deck like sony HVR-1500TM1 which has sdi outs on it or buy a dv to sdi and a hdv to sdi converter to go into the kona card. I have hdv cameras just not any decks or anything with sdi out on it. Are there any other decks new or old model that are hdv with sdi outs for around 3-6k ? Or would i do better getting the converters and using my hdv cameras ?

Thanks;)

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Feb 18, 2007 at 7:00:22 pm

The Sony HVR-1500 is the right decision. Period.

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

Kevin Wild
on Feb 18, 2007 at 7:07:38 pm

Unless you have a Canon camera and are shooting 24F. Then go with the Convergent Designs SI combined with a Canon HV10 and use it as a deck.

Kevin

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Feb 18, 2007 at 7:51:42 pm

Canon HDV tapes play back in a Sony HDV VTR. I am a huge fan of everything Convergent Design makes, and we can debate this all day long. You can get a Sony HVRM-25U with a Convergent Design HD-Connect-MI, and work as well in HD-SDI. There are countless combinations that will work well for you.

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

Kevin Wild
on Feb 18, 2007 at 9:42:26 pm

Bob, I specifically referred to 24F. They will not play back in anything other than Canon's cameras...which yes, is ridiculous. Canon is just lucky that their products are so good, because I think putting out a proprietary frame mode that works with nothing else is insane. We have the H1, the A1 and HV10...none of which can we use any deck in existance for when shooting Frame mode, which we do 100% of the time. Ugh...drives me crazy.

Return to posts index

winterfalleu
on Feb 18, 2007 at 11:03:34 pm

I have canon hv as well several sony hdv's. Right now we are testing the sony xdcam its a monster. My partner has 2 of the panasonic hvx200 and I will also get a hv 20/canon when they are released in eu. I am in Czech Republic and most of my broadcast work from Germany is all HDV, the cz and uk jobs are mostly dvcpro,dvcam and hdv all about equal amounts. I get alot of different formats wish there was a hdv/dvcam/dvcpro deck;). I rarely output back out to tape as my clients always want it on hard drives to drop into their systems.

The convergent designs only states HDV i did not see dv/dvcam as a option or a combined one. Miranda also makes a dv/dvcam to sdi. From the prices I have found for these in the EU (for the HDV to sdi and the dv/dvcam to SDI) gets me into the 3000eu range. So I started looking at lower end decks with sdi.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]