FORUMS: list search recent posts

Disc Array Speed Tests w Cache & Journaled vs Non

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Kevin Wild
Disc Array Speed Tests w Cache & Journaled vs Non
on Feb 17, 2007 at 11:42:32 pm

So, since I have some rare time with a brand new Sonnet Fusion 500 array with 5-750 Gig Seagate drives, I thought I'd do some tests and share some numbers with fellow geeks. My system is a Mac Quad G5. I have 2.5 gigs of RAM and am running 10.4.8. I'm running the system on a Kona LHe.

First off, in case anyone is wondering, raiding 5-750 gig drives together will get you 3.41 TB of storage striped. I tested all of the below the same way, using AJA's system tester, 720x486 8 bit uncompressed, 4 Gigs test file size:

I first tested my original 5 x 500 Gig RAID that was striped and 2/3rd's full and here are my numbers:
-Extended & Journaled, 32meg cache
Write: 175.6 MB/s
Read: 210.6 MB/s

I then tested my brand new 5 x 750 Gig RAID:
-Extended & Journaled, 32meg cache
Write: 161.3 MB/s
Read: 173.6 MB/s

I then re-initialized the new 5 x 750 Gig RAID:
-Extended ONLY (non-journaled), 32meg cache
Write: 165 MB/s
Read: 172.6 MB/s

Finally, I re-initialized the new 5 x 750 Gig RAID:
-Extended ONLY (non-journaled), 128 MEG CACHE
Write: 163.7 MB/s
Read: 169.5 MB/s

CONCLUSION: Umm...I have no idea. None of this seems to have made much of a difference. Maybe it would as the drives started to fill up with media, but empty they sure didn't change much. For now, because I didn't see a noticable difference, I played it safe and went back to the way the defaults tell me to do it: extended & journaled and 32meg cache.

Let me know if anyone has any thoughts or questions on any of this.

Thanks.

Kevin

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
Re: Disc Array Speed Tests w Cache & Journaled vs Non
on Feb 18, 2007 at 12:07:22 am

[Kevin Wild] "Finally, I re-initialized the new 5 x 750 Gig RAID:
-Extended ONLY (non-journaled), 128 MEG CACHE
Write: 163.7 MB/s
Read: 169.5 MB/s"

Wow, that's pretty slow for 5 - 750 drives striped together in that configuration. My CalDigit S2VR HD is the same config, 3.75TB with 5 drives and we're getting 190+ Write and 230 Read. We're set for 128MB Cache here as well.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
http://www.biscardicreative.com
HD Editorial & Animation for Food Network's "Good Eats"
HD Editorial for "Assignment Earth"

"I reject your reality and substitute my own!" - Adam Savage, Mythbusters

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Feb 18, 2007 at 4:30:27 pm

Kevin -
WELCOME to dealing with the real manufacturers of these drive arrays - Hitachi, Seagate and Western Digital.

This is great information, and I have not seen these slow numbers, but I have heard about them.
This is the kind of crap that plagues companies like Cal Digit, Sonnet, and others. It's not a Sonnet issue, it's the drives - and I certainly don't have an answer (no one does but Seagate) - SO -
Pop out one of your new Seagate 750 Gig drives, and please post the EXACT model # of the drive - there will
probably be two numbers on the drives -

I will give you an example.
Barracuda 7200.10 750 Gbytes
ST3750640A8
P/N: 9BJ148-305 (that 305 suffix is real important info to me - what is yours)
Firmware: 3.AAE

PLEASE POST YOUR NUMBERS on your drives

by the way - for your tests, use the larger file size of 1920x1080 10 bit, even though you are doing SD video only, which corresponds to 720x486.

AND don't use Extended (Journaled) - you will suffer as your drives get full. This is the default only
for a boot drive, not a media drive. This applies to the XServe RAID as well.

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

Kevin Wild
on Feb 19, 2007 at 2:19:31 am

Okay, I redid the test on the 5 x 750 Gig array using AJA's system test with 1920x1080 10 bit RGB and got significantly different results and probably more on par with what Walter mentioned he got:
-Extended, non-journaled, striped
-WRITE: 188.9 MB/s
-READ: 222.3 MB/s

I reran the 720x486 8-bit tests and got the same as I posted before...significantly slower at 167 and 173. Very strange. I wouldn't think file size would make such a difference, but I guess it does.

Bob, the info on one of the drives:
Seagate 7200.10, 750 gbytes
S/N: 3QDOPE8N
ST3750640AS
p/n: 9BJ148-308
Firmware: 3.AAJ
Date code: 07251
Site Code: AMK

Thanks, guys. I guess we'll just go for it and see how this puppy holds up with 5 streams of uncompressed SD multicam for this gig I have coming up for Discovery Health.

Kevin Wild
http://www.drawbridge.tv

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Feb 19, 2007 at 11:24:37 pm

Kevin -
I am glad to see your speed results.

you mentioned that you had the Sonnet Fusion 500P chassis, but you did not mention your card. If you owned the Cal Digit FASTA-4 series SATA host card ($299), and now restriped your drives with the 128k block size (with the Cal Digit card only, not the Sonnet), you would get even faster speeds.

I would not lie to you.

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

Kevin Wild
on Feb 20, 2007 at 12:41:07 am

Good to know. I may do that for the next round of purchases, but for now, it is the Sonnet host card.

Thanks.

Kevin
http://www.drawbridge.tv

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]