FORUMS: list search recent posts

Framerate issues - HD workflow

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jelena
Framerate issues - HD workflow
on Feb 16, 2007 at 9:16:30 pm

Hi everybody,

I am in need of some fast help. I have a thesis to deliver at the end of March, but we hit a snag over some lost footage. Basically the short was shot on Sony Cinealta F900, we shot half at 23.97 fps and other half at 60i. All the tapes got captured at Postworks and they had them set at 29.97 (dunno why), but half way through we lost a drive and had to recapture - which got inputed in the original framerate of 23.97. Now the main issue is getting 29.97 and 23.97 on the same page... we were thinking of working in the original framerate 23.97, but how do we bring the 29.97 down to 23.97? Everything we tried made it look choppy. Just to give you more info - we are working with KONA files, 1920x1080. We have access to AE, Fusion, Shake, Avid so if you guys know any tricks that would make this thing work please respond.
If you need more info as well, just let me know.

Thank you SO SOOOO much!

Jelena

http://www.jelenavukosav.com

Return to posts index

David Battistella
Re: Framerate issues - HD workflow
on Feb 16, 2007 at 10:53:17 pm

Jelena,

Cross converting interlaced and progressive footage is no easy task. This all depends on your finish? Is it a 23.98 finish or a 29.97 (59.94) interlaced finish?

Either way, it is very time consuming and difficult to get really great results converting interlaced to progressive. Doing anything with the converted material (slomo, etc) can also be problematic.

One tool to do this with is COmpressor. It uses Shakes "optical Flow" technology and produces some very nice looking results. You can set up a preset, do some tests and run the 60i shots to convert them to 23.98. At full HD rez it will be time consuming (especially at the HQ setting). You could do a fast conversion to cut with and then pull your final shots and reconvert them, that can get cumbersome. My advice would be to do it all at the front end and save yourself the time and aggrivation later.

Shake will do this on a shot for shot basis. THe other option is to go to a house and have it done through Hardware conversion and have a new set of 23.98P tapes made.

Sorry. No real Quick and easy fix on this one.

David

Peace and Love :)

Return to posts index

Jelena
on Feb 16, 2007 at 11:15:06 pm

well I don't know what the hell postworks did, but all footage even the 60i and 23.97 was digitized as 29.97...

i know all of them are interlaced, with lower field as the interpretation.

I mean once we lost them, we had to recapture the 23.97 tapes again and they got captured in the state as they were shot, so thats why we are having the problem of matching up those two framerates...Another question is, whats better to do - stay with 29.97 or bring everything to 23.97?

I hope I am making sense with all of this, it's just confusing me completely, and we were fine until we lost some captured footage...aghh

Jelena

Return to posts index

R.Howard
on Feb 17, 2007 at 12:28:46 am

Jelena,

Where is the final out put going? Film or Tele?

This will help to put things into perspective.

Cheers,
Ramona

Ramona Howard
SpectSoft, LLC
593 Hi-Tech Parkway Suite B
Oakdale, CA 95361
Phone: 209.847.7812 extension 104
Fax: 209.847.7859
http://www.spectsoft.com

RaveHD - Changing the way you think about HD

Return to posts index

Jelena
on Feb 17, 2007 at 6:36:36 pm

it will go onto television, it's also going to be projected but from betas (i think). I think the school is still deciding, if they are just going to project the full pieces digitally or drop it down to SD.

Jelena

Return to posts index

David Battistella
on Feb 18, 2007 at 3:07:52 pm

If all of the footage you are editing with is 60i then you should make sure the stuff you need to recapture mathces that. WHy don't you call postworks. explain your problem and ask them if they will do you the favour of recapturing the footage or at least explaining their method to you.

The production seems a bit disorganized if you have no idea how the program is supposed to be finished. THat should be the first question you ask so that the post production can be planned accordingly.

David

Return to posts index

Jelena
on Feb 18, 2007 at 8:19:39 pm

haha I know.

Unfortunately, I have been asking, but as usual - nobody knows anything - because my dept. is pretty new with the whole HD thing, so now they are still trying to figure out which direction to go - which makes my life a mess.

But thanks guys for all your advice. It is appriciated.

Jelena

Return to posts index

yidahartha
on Feb 19, 2007 at 4:25:27 am

I am encountering a similar situation with something Iam cutting. The bulk of the project was shot 23.98, but some sequences were shot at 30i, 60i and 29.97. Can Cinema Tools be used to reverse telecine the 29.97 material to 23.98 effectively or is that not an option. Another technique that I have used is the plug-ins from G-Film. They have individual settings for pulldown cadence and frame rate. I have found that playing with these filters can create pleasing results that smooth over some of the problems from the 29.97 footage. Just a thought and it may not work for everyone.

Return to posts index

David Battistella
on Feb 19, 2007 at 2:44:07 pm

G-Film is an excellent choice as it will convert the framerates for you. I have used this when matching 29.97 material to 24PA material.

David

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]