FORUMS: list search recent posts

Panasonic and other Displays

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Yidahartha
Panasonic and other Displays
on Feb 16, 2007 at 7:57:19 pm

So, I am thinking of buying a 42" Display for both client viewing and color-correction purposes. I am on a limited budget and read a great deal about the color accuracy of the Pannys on this site. They also seem to be a good value. However, I am confused as to the best input option for professional use. I am using a KONA LH card to a nice Sony PHM for now, and want to know what type of input would be appropriate (component, HDMI, SDI...). It seems that here is where the real costs are, not in the display itself. Any thoughts?

Thanks

Eric

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
Re: Panasonic and other Displays
on Feb 16, 2007 at 11:30:44 pm

I am thinking of buying a 42" Display for both client viewing and color-correction purposes. I am on a limited budget and read a great deal about the color accuracy of the Pannys on this site. They also seem to be a good value. However, I am confused as to the best input option for professional use. I am using a KONA LH card to a nice Sony PHM for now, and want to know what type of input would be appropriate (component, HDMI, SDI...). It seems that here is where the real costs are, not in the display itself.

REPLY -
you should say exactly how much money you want to spend. The Westinghouse 1080p 42" LCD is about $1200 at Best Buy, and it looks great. The generic Panasonic TH42 monitor is not a true HD monitor, and will "scale" the image. However, the 50" TH50 from Panasonic is a true HD monitor 1366x768, and is about $1600 after the Panasonic Rebate at B+H Photo. If you have even less money, taking the Kona LH output and going right into the Dell 2407 24" monitor will show you the full HD resolution, for about $675. If you want a 42" monitor for $675, you are out of luck.

If you are on a limited budget, you should say how much you want to spend.
Prices have dropped dramatically recently.

Bob ZElin

Return to posts index

Yidahartha
on Feb 17, 2007 at 12:57:08 am

Both the Westinghouse and the Panasonics (42" and 50") would be in my budget. My main concern is getting the best quality image and color accuratcy for the money. I suppose my main confusion is the necessary inputs on the monitors. The Pannys have only component and VGA I believe. The Westinghouse appeared to have component and HDMI inputs. Will component suffice or is going HDMI on an true HD display the better option.

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Feb 17, 2007 at 2:39:30 pm

Listen Yidahartha,
I go to the NAB show every year, and have been doing so for many years. You could go to the Adobe Booth, the Apple Booth, the Blackmagic Booth, the AVID booth, the AJA booth, etc, etc., etc. EVERY ONE OF THESE COMPANIES used the Panasonic TH50 at their booth (except for Sony).

SO, you tell me - if it's good enough for EVERY DAMN MANUFACTURER at a critical trade show to use the EXACT SAME MONITOR for their displays, to show how good HD looks, is this good enough for you ??????

You tell me.

(And let me assure you, that next year, something better will come out, so please don't say "but what about this model - will this outlive the Panasonic TH50 ??")

Bob elin

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Feb 17, 2007 at 2:41:27 pm

If you use the AJA K Box or K3 Box or KL box, or AVID Adrenaline, they all have analog HD Y Pb Pr outputs, which will go into the analog component inputs of the Panasonic, and scan properly to the correct HD image size. They look GREAT. Stop overanalyzing this. If you have big bucks, you can get the HD-SDI option card for the Panasonic, but I can assure you that the image quality is not better using the HD-SDI option card (which costs over $1000).

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
on Feb 17, 2007 at 4:00:23 pm

[Yidahartha] "The Pannys have only component and VGA I believe. The Westinghouse appeared to have component and HDMI inputs. Will component suffice or is going HDMI on an true HD display the better option."

Actually, the Panasonic is completely configurable, it's not just Component and VGA. You can have Component, SDI, HDMI and any combination thereof. We run two component inputs here, one for our system and the other the Cable TV HD input, but I have an open input slot so I can add either SDI or HDMI in the future if I need it.

You can easily read up on the Panasonic inputs at http://www.panasonic.com. We run two Panny plasmas and I would not recommend any other HD display.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
http://www.biscardicreative.com
HD Editorial & Animation for Food Network's "Good Eats"
HD Editorial for "Assignment Earth"

"I reject your reality and substitute my own!" - Adam Savage, Mythbusters

Return to posts index

David Issko
on Feb 17, 2007 at 10:37:51 pm

[Bob Zelin] "If you have even less money, taking the Kona LH output and going right into the Dell 2407 24" monitor will show you the full HD resolution,"

Bob,

Would that configuration be acceptable for you to set up a HD suite that would edit from HDV derived cameras (but not necesarily edit in HDV format) or would you prefer the quality of the Panasonic BT-LH2600W? Or for that matter is the Dell 2707 27" monitor acceptable as well?

I know there is a price difference between the 2 brands but is the panasonic that much better because of say HD-SDI in?

Thanks
David

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]