Hi all,

Relavant System specs:

MAC PRO 2x2.66GHz, 4GB RAM
OSX 10.4.7
AJA KONA3
4G Fibre card
FCP (5.1.2)
KONA drivers (3.3)

I have what I think is a kona/macpro problem! Whenever I go to playout to tape, be it PAL SD 10bit uncompressed, DV via SDI, HD 10bit uncompresssed (ie:Anything!!) The playout will start just fine, then between 10-14minutes in it will 'drop frames' and stop the playout. If you then assemble on from here, it will continue to religiously drop frames every 10-14 minutes.

I have tried the following to isolate certain parts of the syetem:

Tried to playout a simple DV sequence over SDI using AJA KONA 3 - PAL 8 bit to DV from a firewire drive not involving the attached SAN in anyway - DROPS FRAMES every 10-14mins

Tried to playout JUST 30minutes of bars and tone out from within final cut at varying resolutions not using any additional media - DROPS FRAMES every 10-14mins

Tried to playout 30 minutes of DV footage to a DVCAM deck via firewire - PERFECT. NO DROPPED FRAMES

Has anyone any thoughts? This has got me scratching my head!

Many thanks.......

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
Re: AJA KONA 3 & MAC PRO DROPPING FRAMES
on Feb 14, 2007 at 6:00:48 pm

[creative_tech] "I have what I think is a kona/macpro problem!"

Dropping frames is solely created by data throughput, has nothing to do with the Kona board. It has everything to do with your media throughput from the hard drives.

[creative_tech] "
Has anyone any thoughts? This has got me scratching my head!"

You didn't say what media storage you're using.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
http://www.biscardicreative.com
HD Editorial & Animation for Food Network's "Good Eats"
HD Editorial for "Assignment Earth"

"I reject your reality and substitute my own!" - Adam Savage, Mythbusters

Return to posts index

JeremyG
on Feb 14, 2007 at 10:49:14 pm

[walter biscardi] "Dropping frames is solely created by data throughput, has nothing to do with the Kona board. It has everything to do with your media throughput from the hard drives."

Will all do resepct, this is not entirely true. If you have the wrong easy setup chosen (say trying to play an uncompressed timeline when the Kona's expecting a dv timeline) you will most likely get dropped frames no matter how fast your drives are.

Creative_Tech, try selecting the proper easy setup for each timeline and retry. Also, you need to setup your PCIe slot configuration according to the Kona specs outlined on their website.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
on Feb 14, 2007 at 10:56:41 pm

[JeremyG] "Will all do resepct, this is not entirely true. If you have the wrong easy setup chosen (say trying to play an uncompressed timeline when the Kona's expecting a dv timeline) you will most likely get dropped frames no matter how fast your drives are."

Jeremy you are absolutely correct! Didn't even think about that.

And along those same lines, ensure that you have your Canvas and Viewer set to "Fit To Window." If they are scaled up beyond what either can show, you can also get dropped frames that way too.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Feb 15, 2007 at 1:28:28 am

If this gentlemen is using an Apple XServe RAID, (he did say he had a FC card, so I assume that he has an XServe RAID, but I could be wrong) -
he MUST turn off CACHE FLUSHING in the System settings of RAID ADMIN, or he will get dropped frames.

But he has not responded to what type of storage he is using.

bob Zelin

Return to posts index

JeremyG
on Feb 15, 2007 at 1:44:30 am

He said some sort of SAN and firewire drives...?

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Feb 15, 2007 at 1:49:34 am

You write -

Tried to playout a simple DV sequence over SDI using AJA KONA 3 - PAL 8 bit to DV from a firewire drive not involving the attached SAN in anyway - DROPS FRAMES every 10-14mins

REPLY -
Firewire drive? I hope it's a firewire 800 drive - you aint' gonna get nothin from a firewire 400. Is there anything else on the Firewire buss? Do you have multiple fw drives looped together? What brand of Firewire drive ?

on the SAN - what SAN - Apple XSAn, MetaSan, Terrablock, EditShare ? Details please !

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

Rob Tobin
on Feb 15, 2007 at 4:28:55 pm

We're having the same issue.
Macpro 1.1 2x266- Intel
4 gigs of ram
FCP 5.1.2
Kona 3
Atto FC-41ES
6 terbyes of fiber (Terrablock)
We still have dual 2.5's running Kona 2 same drive set-up with no problem. Most of our work is 1080i 29.97 or 25. We have followed Kona's specs.

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
on Feb 15, 2007 at 4:34:03 pm

[Rob Tobin] "6 terbyes of fiber (Terrablock)
We still have dual 2.5's running Kona 2 same drive set-up with no problem. Most of our work is 1080i 29.97 or 25. We have followed Kona's specs."

What has Facilis had to say about this issue?

Walter Biscardi, Jr.

Return to posts index

JeremyG
on Feb 15, 2007 at 4:39:37 pm

[Rob Tobin] "We're having the same issue."

Did you setup your PCIe slots correctly?

Return to posts index

Rob Tobin
on Feb 15, 2007 at 5:15:13 pm

Yes, I think that's the problem... I just got off the phone with AJA. I'll re-post if it works.
Thanks
RT

Return to posts index

Rob Tobin
on Feb 15, 2007 at 6:15:12 pm

The problem seems to be fixed. For those experienceing the same thing... install the Kona in slot three and use the PCI-E expantion utility (new for Intel-Macs) and make sure slot 3&4 are running at 4x install storage host card in slot 4. The install instructions on the Kona site needs to be updated as it indicates that you can install the Kona in any open slot.
Thanks for the help.
Rob

Return to posts index

creative_tech
on Feb 15, 2007 at 6:19:47 pm

Hi everyone thanks for your input - sorry for the delay on relying - been rather hectic today! To clear up a few points:

I discounted our SAN storage (XSERVE with ADTX STORAGE) as the root of the problem because I tried connecting up a Lacie 1TB FW800 drive loaded with DV PAL rushes and played out a DV PAL sequence using the Kona PAL-8 Bit DV Easy Setup and I still got dropped frames aprox. ever 10-14 mins. The SAN was in no way part of the system.....

I also played out 2 30minute DVCPro HD sequnces from the SAN to a Panasonic AJ1400 deck today over firewire and not a single problem....

So to recap ANY playout over firewire performs GREAT!! ANY playout over the KONA 3 interface drops frames ever 10-14mins no matter what resolution.

As far as slot setup in my MAC PRO machines:

Fibrecard & KONA card in PCI slots 4&3 running at x4

Slot 2 EMPTY

Slot 1 Graphics card running at x16

I believe this is as per KONA recommendations....this is the second from top PCI EXPRESS profile listed in the expansion slot utility of the MAC PRO machines......

So, anyone any the wiser?!?!?

Return to posts index

gary adcock
on Feb 15, 2007 at 7:18:16 pm

Has the firmware been updated on desktop?
which version of QT? should be 7.1.3

UNinstall the Kona drivers using the uninstaller in the Kona utilities folder. Then reinstall.
This is the only way to assure the update

gary adcock
Studio37
HD & Film Consultation
Post and Production Workflows

Return to posts index

gary adcock
on Feb 15, 2007 at 6:29:35 pm

[Rob Tobin] " The install instructions on the Kona site needs to be updated as it indicates that you can install the Kona in any open slot."

that is spelled out in the read me docs with the drivers.

gary adcock
Studio37
HD & Film Consultation
Post and Production Workflows

Return to posts index

Rob Tobin
Re: AJA KONA 3 & MAC PRO DROPPING FRAMES-Creative Tech!
on Feb 16, 2007 at 9:53:25 pm

Creative Tech,
Finally found the problem... May be your issue as well. Thanks to the AJA support team I found that there is a new tab in the Audio/visual settings (new from version 5.0 anyway) that allows you to set seperate outputs for edit to tape function. Make sure this is checked and set to the same format of your sequence. I guess this is for users using cinema displays for monitoring.
Hope it helps
Rob

Return to posts index

creative_tech
Re: AJA KONA 3 & MAC PRO DROPPING FRAMES-Creative Tech!
on Feb 19, 2007 at 1:42:11 pm

Hey Rob.

Many thanks for that....I really thought it would do the trick - sounded logical and everything.....however it didn't! Back to the drawing board I guess. Pleased to hear the guys were helpful at KONA. I'm ringing them this afternoon..I'll report back.

James

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]