FORUMS: list search recent posts

Some Kona Q's..

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
flameopV2
Some Kona Q's..
on Feb 13, 2007 at 10:34:31 am

Can someone explain the main advantages of the KONA3 over the KONA LHe, is it just 4:4:4 and realtime key channel?

Capturing off HDCAM would I choose 1080 8 bit or 10bit? I thought 10bit was 4:4:4.. or are they not the same? :-/
is the codec 1080 10bit RGB meant for duellink HD 4:4:4 ?

Also is all I need a card and a vtr? or do I need a blackburst generator also?

Am I going to run into the quicktime gamma shift problem using FCP Studio apps and Shake and Maya all on the same MacPro digitizing quicktimes with KONA, or is this just Mac>Pc, can't work it out from the posts about it.

Thanks all, much appreciated :)

Si

Return to posts index

JeremyG
Re: Some Kona Q's..
on Feb 13, 2007 at 3:08:39 pm

[flameopV2] "Can someone explain the main advantages of the KONA3 over the KONA LHe, is it just 4:4:4 and realtime key channel?"

Kona 3 can up and cross convert, LHe cannot. Kona 3 is digital in, analog/digital out, LHe is both analog/digital in/out.

[flameopV2] "Capturing off HDCAM would I choose 1080 8 bit or 10bit?"

Whatever you system and drives can handle, it is up to you and your needs.

[flameopV2] "I thought 10bit was 4:4:4.. or are they not the same? :-/"

10 bit 4:4:4 is dual link from the HDCam SR decks. You can capture single link 4:2:2 uncompressed

[flameopV2] "is the codec 1080 10bit RGB meant for duellink HD 4:4:4 ?"

Pretty much

[flameopV2] "Also is all I need a card and a vtr? or do I need a blackburst generator also?"

Balckburst always helps, depending on what format you are working with, you might need tri level sync as well.

[flameopV2] "Am I going to run into the quicktime gamma shift problem using FCP Studio apps and Shake and Maya all on the same MacPro digitizing quicktimes with KONA, or is this just Mac>Pc, can't work it out from the posts about it."

You will probably see a gamma shift if you work with YUV material, send to RGB and render that out YUV again. There are steps to take to reduce this, but we would need to know about what you really need to do.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

flameopV2
on Feb 13, 2007 at 3:15:38 pm

Thanks for the reply, really appreciated,

Formats most likely are PAL DIGIBETA and HDCAM 1080 25p. Also maybe some DVCPRO/HD

Whats triLeval sync? :-/

Mostly we will me injesting Video + Audio. Offline > Online.Then compositing within Shake. Grading in FCP and AfterEffects and possibly Iradas SpeedGrade then outputting back to orig format.

Return to posts index

JeremyG
on Feb 13, 2007 at 3:38:29 pm

[flameopV2] "Whats triLeval sync? :-/"

Used for 24p so don't worry about it in your case. A regular SD-PAL blackburst generator will do you just fine.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

flameopV2
on Feb 13, 2007 at 4:13:55 pm

Cheers Jeremy! :-)

S

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]