FORUMS: list search recent posts

720P 59.94 dropping frames with Kona 3

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
The Lobby
720P 59.94 dropping frames with Kona 3
on Feb 13, 2007 at 1:27:05 am

Hi all - just in a bit of a panic trying to get a first 720p job done. I've got sequence settings on AJA Kona 3 720p 59.94 10 bit and everything rendered but just cannot get anything to play. I keep getting the try turning off unlimited warning.

FCP 5.0.4
Kona 3 (latest drivers)
5.6 TB xRaid apple fiber channel card

The Kona system tests gives read and both well over 220.

Any ideas???

Thanks,
Jeff

xposted in fcp thread too

Return to posts index

The Lobby
Re: 720P 59.94 dropping frames with Kona 3
on Feb 13, 2007 at 1:36:58 am

update, trying to output to D5 via HD SDI

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
on Feb 13, 2007 at 2:14:43 am

[The Lobby] "Hi all - just in a bit of a panic trying to get a first 720p job done. I've got sequence settings on AJA Kona 3 720p 59.94 10 bit and everything rendered but just cannot get anything to play. I keep getting the try turning off unlimited warning."

This is a drive throughput issue, not a Kona issue.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
http://www.biscardicreative.com
HD Editorial & Animation for Food Network's "Good Eats"
HD Editorial for "Assignment Earth"

"I reject your reality and substitute my own!" - Adam Savage, Mythbusters

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Feb 13, 2007 at 2:20:49 am

1) I ASSUME you have 14 drives in your Apple XServe RAID

2) go into RAID ADMIN in your XServe RAID, and make sure that CACHE FLUSHING
is turned OFF, or your system will NEVER work. I don't recall how to do this without being in front of a system, because I don't often use XServe RAID. It requires you to enter your "private" monitoring password to get into the menu to change this. This is not a bullshit answer - AJA helped me in the past with this exact issue.

3) next time, buy a Cal-Digit, and save yourself some aggrivation.

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

JeremyG
on Feb 13, 2007 at 1:59:59 pm

I could be wrong here, but I think that the latest drivers require FCP 5.1 universal. You have stated that you have FCP 5.0.4. It is time to upgrade FCP or downgrade your Kona drivers to version 3.0 or version 2. You will need to uninstall your current drivers from the current uninstaller before reinstalling the older drivers.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

The Lobby
on Feb 13, 2007 at 6:33:21 pm

Give everybody a point for helping! I was a bit unclear, I have the latest driver that supports 5.0.4. The actual problem was with the drive flushing. The system had crashed and reset itself. Thanks to all for your help.

Jeff

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
AJA IS GREAT - Re: 720P 59.94 dropping frames with Kona 3
on Feb 14, 2007 at 1:21:26 am

I would like to explain how I knew the answer to this question (because I just didn't know this).
I was at a TV station in Orlando, that had the XServe RAID, and developed this problem. They called me in, and I tried everything, and determined it was the Xserve RAID, and not the system or other drives. After having the luxury of trying another XServe RAID, I spend 2 hours on the phone with Apple advanced support, getting incorrect information.

I then called Rudy Van Kol at AJA, and explained my situation (with the same drop frames you were getting). It was Rudy at AJA - NOT APPLE SUPPORT - that knew the answer of how to set the Apple Xserve RAID (to turn off CACHE Flushing) in the System Menu.

Again - AJA support is amazing. No other company like it.

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

chrispy
Re: AJA IS GREAT - Re: 720P 59.94 dropping frames with Kona 3
on Feb 14, 2007 at 5:47:02 am

You may also want to update to the latest version of XServeRAID Admin and firmware as it now remembers the cache flush settings whereas in the past it defaults back to ON if you re-power the XServeRAID unit.

-chrispy

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]