FORUMS: list search recent posts

Simultaneous SDI and Component Out

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
JimTuch
Simultaneous SDI and Component Out
on Feb 12, 2007 at 12:46:27 am

I have a Kona 2 and have only used the SDI output through SDI-1. I need to get an component signal, ideally simultaneously with the SDI signal that I am monitoring. I want to send a SD signal to a vectorscope while still being able to monitor the HD signal on SDI-1. I thought the Kona always put out its signal to both SDI and the analog lines, but mine only seems to be putting a signal out through SDI-1. I am using FCP 5.1.2 and everything seems to be setup properly in Kona Control Panel. I have tried to find an answeer in the manual, but cannot find any thing that helps me. Thanks! Jim

Jim

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
Re: Simultaneous SDI and Component Out
on Feb 12, 2007 at 12:56:41 am

All outputs are hot at all times. Both SDI and Component will output whatever you're set up to output.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
http://www.biscardicreative.com
HD Editorial & Animation for Food Network's "Good Eats"
HD Editorial for "Assignment Earth"

"I reject your reality and substitute my own!" - Adam Savage, Mythbusters

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Feb 12, 2007 at 1:47:29 am

Hi Jim -
you have SDI out 1, SDI out 2, and analog Y Pb Pr outputs. The AJA Kona Control panel controls all of this. I do not know if your vectorscope/waveform is analog or serial digital. If it's analog, the Y output can be made into a composite video output by simply going to the analog tab, and chaning it from component to composite. However, this will not work, if you don't first tell the Kona control panel to DOWNCONVERT the analog output to 525 (standard def). SDI 1 and SDI 2 will never put out an analog signal for an analog scope. You must use the Y Pb Pr outputs (if in fact that is what you are looking to accomplish)

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

JimTuch
on Feb 12, 2007 at 3:59:25 am

Thanks, I have the signal down converted to a 525 signal. But, it seems that only my SDI-1 is hot. I can switch the SDI-1 and SDI-2 lines to my monitor and it says there is no signal from SDI-2? I also can not get an composite or component analog signal when I hook the analog line(s) up to the component or composite inputs on my monitor (which are setup for SD display). Not sure what is going on here, as I have never used any output except the SDI-1 before? Jim

Jim

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Feb 12, 2007 at 1:58:21 pm

I will ask you some stupid questions below -

I have the signal down converted to a 525 signal. But, it seems that only my SDI-1 is hot. I can switch the SDI-1 and SDI-2 lines to my monitor and it says there is no signal from SDI-2? I also can not get an composite or component analog signal when I hook the analog line(s) up to the component or composite inputs on my monitor (which are setup for SD display). Not sure what is going on here, as I have never used any output except the SDI-1 before? Jim

REPLY -
I am going to ASSUME that you have a SDI monitor so you can see what is going on. Is this correct (you never said exactly what your monitor situation or scope situation was - exactly what models do you have).
If you can stick SDI-1 into your TV SDI input (or scope SDI input), and you stick SDI-2, and you get nothing, you should open the Kona Control Panel, click on the OUTPUT tab, and observe what the outputs are set for (they can change format, depending on what you set). None of this stuff "just works" - you must go into the Kona Control Panel, and say what you want coming out of SDI-1, SDI-2, and Analog out. I apologize for pointing this out, but you can't plug the analog signal into the same BNC jack as the digital signal on your monitor. Monitors either have composite inputs, component inputs, or SDI inputs. Some monitors have all three, and you select what you want to display with a button on the front of the monitor, but NO MONITOR will auto detect an analog signal, or a SDI digital signal.

PLEASE tell me exactly what tv and scope you are using, and please tell me how the OUTPUT tab and the ANALOG tab is set on your Kona Control panel.

With all of this said, you may have a bad cable, you may have a bad Kona board - but it's pretty unlikely.
I will reply, once you answer my questions.

bob Zelin

Return to posts index

JimTuch
on Feb 13, 2007 at 4:42:45 am

Thanks for the help. I have a Panasonic LH1700. The settings in the Kona Control Panel are presently set to very simple settings. Every thing is 525 SD, no up or down conversion, Color Bars out, Composite+Y/C. I understand that SDI will only work when connected to the SDI input and the green analog line is connected to the analog (composite) video input. I have also tried this in Component mode with all three analog lines connected to the appropriate component inputs on the monitor.

I unistalled the Kona software and reinstalled it. I am not sure why this should make a difference (or if it did), but I now have a composite signal that I can detect, both in a straight pass through of 525 and in a down conversion from 1080. I still only have a signal on SDI-1. With the SDI-1 line connected to the SDI-1 input on the monitor, I have a signal. If I swap out the SDI-1 output for SDI-2 (connected to the SDI-1 input on the monitor), I have no signal. I have not tested this from within FCP, but I am making progress. I have always found the Kona setup pretty intuitive. I ran the conflict checker and it does not show any. You may be correct; this may be a bad cable.

Return to posts index

weevie833
on Feb 13, 2007 at 10:32:53 pm

Try also powering down completely, disconnecting the power cable, reseating the card, reconnecting, then restarting. I have also had success with doing Tiger Cache Cleaner whenever, for some reason, SDI refuses to play nice. [This will sometimes happen when making frequent switching from SD to HD to SD to HD, etc.].

I have had this problem recently and had to do all of above, then re-install the drivers. Finally worked. I wonder if 10.4.8 has anything to do with it or some funk created by recent security updates, but that is beyond my ... um, knowability.

steve covello
double wide post

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Feb 14, 2007 at 3:59:20 am

you write -
I unistalled the Kona software and reinstalled it. I am not sure why this should make a difference (or if it did), but I now have a composite signal that I can detect, both in a straight pass through of 525 and in a down conversion from 1080.

REPLY -
you don't know why it makes a difference, after you reinstalled your drivers ? I will tell you why. Because COMPUTERS SUCK. They all suck. I don't care if you are using Premier, AVID, Blackmagic, AJA, DPS Velocity, Discreet Edit, Aacom Stratasphere, or the NASA shuttle. Computers suck - they do bizarre things that make no sense, and reloading software, and powering down computers, and restarting them do miraculous things. This has been the way it is from the beginning of time (in the world of computers), and I imagine it will remain this way. If you don't like the fact that computers are not stable, may I suggest opening up a sandwich shop. I would like a roast beef sandwich, please.

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]