Kona 2 & PCI/X

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Paul
Kona 2 & PCI/X
by
on Feb 9, 2007 at 9:12:23 pm

Hi-

I've had a Kona 2 for several years and it's worked relatively fine. It's in my G5 (dual 2 GHZ slot 3) with my atto UL4D in slot 4.

Didn't use the card for a while and one day went to use it and the machine wasn't seeing it. Downloaded new software, did a firmware update and now it appears in the system profiler. I send video to the card and it shows up in the Kona control panel. However, in the "Info" tab I get this message in red:

PCI Bit file: 2005/04/05 10:49:18
ERROR: KONA Board is running in PCI mode - only PCI-X cards should be installed on this bus!

The only thing that has changed since I last used it is FCP upgrades and I installed a FW card in slot 2.
As far as my reading has gone on and off list, these are the proper slots for the RAID controller and the K2. As I said, it USED to work (not that that means anything!

In FCP 5.1.1, even though the Kona control panel says it's getting video I can't see it in the capture window and it claims to have "No Communication" with my deck (Panasonic AJ-HD 1700).

Any thoughts?

Thanks.

-Paul

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
Re: Kona 2 & PCI/X
on Feb 9, 2007 at 11:04:01 pm

gee, maybe you should pull out that Firewire card, and see what happens. Maybe, since you updated your FCP version, you should reload the AJA Kona 2 driver from the website, and try it again.

Bob ZElin

Return to posts index

Paul
by
on Feb 9, 2007 at 11:51:16 pm

Thanks Bob. I think I'll pull the FW card out and see but I was hoping to avoid it. As far as drivers go, the FCP update was done well before the new drivers were installed (today). Perhaps an uninstall and reinstall would be worth a try anyway.

Thanks

Return to posts index

Paul
by
on Feb 10, 2007 at 1:17:25 pm

Hi All-

I heard back from Kona and they said that I need to have one slot empty in the bus that the card is in. Meaning it's OK to have the Atto in slot 4, the Kona in slot 3 and slot 2 is to be empty. That could be why I'm getting the error but I have to wait till Monday to check. That said, I'd have to yank my FW card and that takes my capture to a FW drive out of the mix as I was having issues trying to capture to the drive on the regular FW bus.

I know the response will be "why don't you just capture to your SCSI RAID as you have the Atto card?". Well, sometimes ( alot of the time) the FW just gives me a lot less hassles and more stability so I use it for some workflow situations. Do I really have to start yanking cards each time I want to use a different storage scenarios?

Any thoughts/setups/workarounds would be greatly appreciated.

-Paul

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
on Feb 10, 2007 at 1:21:05 pm

[Paul] "That said, I'd have to yank my FW card and that takes my capture to a FW drive out of the mix as I was having issues trying to capture to the drive on the regular FW bus."

We have never had issues capuring to the standard FW bus on any of our machines. I have two G-RAID's and a LaCie Biggest 2TB drive daisy chained on our Mac Pro. A LaCie BDE 500GB drive on our Quad and another LaCie BDE 500GB on our old G5 Dual 2.0. Never had any problems capturing /editing to any of them.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
http://www.biscardicreative.com
HD Editorial & Animation for Food Network's "Good Eats"
HD Editorial for "Assignment Earth"

"I reject your reality and substitute my own!" - Adam Savage, Mythbusters

Return to posts index

Paul
by
on Feb 10, 2007 at 3:02:39 pm

Thanks Walter. That's capturing via the Kona and not via FW correct? Perhaps the issues I was having was capturing via FW to a FW drive on the same bus. I can't exactly recall the setup.

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
on Feb 10, 2007 at 10:13:51 pm

[Paul] "That's capturing via the Kona and not via FW correct?"

No, that's capturing Firewire or via the Kona. I've edited over 30 episodes in DVCPro HD using FW Capture and about 25 or so using the Kona capture.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
http://www.biscardicreative.com
HD Editorial & Animation for Food Network's "Good Eats"
HD Editorial for "Assignment Earth"

"I reject your reality and substitute my own!" - Adam Savage, Mythbusters

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]