FORUMS: list search recent posts

Kona/IO and DA88

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
ronnyron
Kona/IO and DA88
on Feb 9, 2007 at 2:00:06 am

I have a bunch of shows that need to go to DA88.
My preference, obviously, is to send it to a pro until someone told me that for a faction of the cost, I could rent the machine and do it myself. So I'm doing the research and thought I'd ask here as well. Its a simple layoff with matching TC.

Any thoughts on hookup? Kona or IO? I have the IO, but I don't have the DB25 cable for 8 channel audio. (The shows are 12 tracks.) Can I go SDI or any other digital format?

If I use the Kona and only have 4channels, can I go back and add the other 4?

Slightly new territory for me, but I have common sense. I just want to make sure the hook up part of this is actually possible with what Kona and IO supply.

Thanks
Ron

RIOT Productions
G5, Kona LH, Atto UL4D, FCP5, QT 7.

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
Re: Kona/IO and DA88
on Feb 9, 2007 at 2:26:11 am

the DA88 accepted 8 channel analog input, and if you wanted to use AES/EBU, you needed a seperate Tascam TDIF to AES/EBU converter box (I forgot the # - it might be the IF88AE). But this would still give you discreet AES/EBU channels. The Kona 3 K3 Box has 8 channels of AES/EBU output. When the DA88 was invented, I don't think that embedded audio even existed ! So forget about using SDI embedded audio into the DA88. AJA makes audio de-embedders that will let you extract the audio signals out to the DA88, but I bet you are looking for an inexpensive solution, and don't want to spend a couple of grand on converters. IF you use the AJA I/O, it has an ADAT interface, and Alesis makes an ADAT to AES and an ADAT to Analog converter, that will give you all 8 channels. I beleve these boxes cost $399 each.

Remember, you can do anything - you just have to be willing to spend the money to do it.

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

ronnyron
on Feb 9, 2007 at 3:05:16 am

Thanks Bob.

I should have been clearer...I'm running the Kona LH, so I guess the IO would be my choice.
Thanks for the advice, I'll check out the Alesis.

If this gets too complex with converters and the like, I'll just pay someone to do it.
I'm not willing to spend that much for show dubs, but if its cheaper than sending to a pro, I'll entertain it.
This person seem to think the rental cost, stock, and time would be far cheaper than sending it out.
I'm not an audio engineer, so if I do this I want to make sure I'm doing it right, otherwise its not worth it.

Ron

Return to posts index

red ochre
on Feb 11, 2007 at 10:25:08 pm

Hi,

I'm not sure about Tascam but we have a Sony PCM 800 that accept 8 channels of AES/EBU. Our main limitation is our systems which can only output 4 channels at a time. We get around this by recording in two passes.

We do digital cut on an Avid to output the tapes. I can't imagine that FCP doesn't have the same capabiliy. I guess you'll want to find out for sure. We simply connect device control and let it rip.

If your doing a lot of shows you will save a lot of money in the end. I would recomend taking an extra day of rental to figure out the machine before doing the first layoff.

With the Sony (I think Tascam is the same) the thing to remember is that if you don't have preformatted tapes you must format and stripe them ahead of time. The instruction manual will give you the details but remember that you must press 'format' not once but twice (if its blinking thats no good).

And since you have 12 tracks of audio and Da-88 takes 8 tracks you're going to have a problem there.

Hoped that helped some.

Return to posts index

ronnyron
on Feb 12, 2007 at 2:51:48 pm

Thanks Red.

As far as FCP, audio tracks are only limited by the hardware attached to it. It looks like we can output 24 tracks from a sequence.
But I don't know if thats true. I would think if you need that many tracks, chances are you're having it professionally done anyway.

Turns out, the network specs only require 8 tracks, so I'm good.

Thanks for the formatting advice-- didn't know that.

Ron

Return to posts index

ronnyron
on Feb 24, 2007 at 3:38:58 pm

Hey Red,

Curious, is it possible to format and record audio (with TC) at the same time? Striping the tapes is a nightmare... 26 30 minute dubs. Is there an audio equivalent to "assemble editing."

My one hour passes were flawless. The "one day to figure out the machine" was worth it and needed! I must have read the manual 3 times.

Thanks
Ron

Return to posts index

gary adcock
on Feb 24, 2007 at 4:24:32 pm

[ronnyron] "Striping the tapes is a nightmare... 26 30 minute dubs. "

IMHO
you only need to black stripe the first couple of minutes, the TC generator does the rest of the tape.

gary adcock
Studio37
HD & Film Consultation
Post and Production Workflows

Return to posts index

ronnyron
on Feb 25, 2007 at 3:25:02 pm

Cool, I'll give it a try.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved