FORUMS: list search recent posts

Kona 3 and the Mac Pro

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Wayne Carey
Kona 3 and the Mac Pro
on Feb 8, 2007 at 3:10:09 pm

Has anybody noticed the increased number of times that the Kona 3 will pop and crackle on playback since going to the Mac Pro?

There's not a set amount of playback when this happens and its not keeping me from working... its just getting realy annoying especially when you have a client in house for that day. The pops and crackles may happen several times a day now. I've notinced this since moving to the Mac Pro back in November.
But its really annoying me....

This has been an issue since the Kona series has been available and driver updates have lessened them but now on the Mac Pro, they're back with a vengence.

Wayne Carey
Schazam Productions
http://www.schazamproductions.com

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
Re: Kona 3 and the Mac Pro
on Feb 8, 2007 at 4:01:01 pm

[Wayne Carey] "Has anybody noticed the increased number of times that the Kona 3 will pop and crackle on playback since going to the Mac Pro?"

nope, not here. it's about the same as our Quad G5.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
http://www.biscardicreative.com
HD Editorial & Animation for Food Network's "Good Eats"
HD Editorial for "Assignment Earth"

"I reject your reality and substitute my own!" - Adam Savage, Mythbusters

Return to posts index

Post Office Video
on Feb 8, 2007 at 4:52:04 pm

I am starting to experiment with bypassing the native audio of Kona and Blackmagic cards. I am using an mBox usb interface at the moment with mixed results. On the plus side the stuttering has gone away and simultaneous record and playback for multitrack recording and ADR is enabled. On the minus side lip sync can slip during playback- this is fixed by restarting Final Cut. I will also be trying a mixer with computer direct out, probably either a Behringer xenyx 2442 or a Mackie Onyx 1640 with the firewire option. If anyone else has tried this I would love to hear it.

Chris Paul
POV

Return to posts index

gary adcock
on Feb 8, 2007 at 6:15:18 pm

[Post Office Video] "I am starting to experiment with bypassing the native audio of Kona and Blackmagic cards."

Bad Idea, IMHO
Audio should follow video otherwise there is any number of ways the audio can slip at VARIOUS rates based on in and out points. ie: the drift will vary
do to power, cable, and other issues. You may never be able to resync the audio correctly in all instances.

gary adcock
Studio37
HD & Film Consultation
Post and Production Workflows

Return to posts index

Post Office Video
on Feb 8, 2007 at 6:37:36 pm

[gary adcock] "Bad Idea, IMHO
Audio should follow video otherwise there is any number of ways the audio can slip at VARIOUS rates based on in and out points. ie: the drift will vary
do to power, cable, and other issues. You may never be able to resync the audio correctly in all instances."

Yeah, I wouldn't recommend it for daily use at this point. Right now I mostly do it when I have to do live multitrack or ADR... or whend the audio stuttering is just to annoying.

BTW, can Kona products record and play back audio at the same time the way Avids can?

Chris Paul
POV

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
on Feb 8, 2007 at 6:54:58 pm

[Post Office Video] "BTW, can Kona products record and play back audio at the same time the way Avids can?"

You mean real-time playback of the video / audio you're recording? Yep.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.

Return to posts index

Post Office Video
on Feb 8, 2007 at 7:21:12 pm

[walter biscardi] "

[Post Office Video] "BTW, can Kona products record and play back audio at the same time the way Avids can?"

You mean real-time playback of the video / audio you're recording? Yep"

I mean something like this: In Soundtrack Pro record some voice, add some music etc. Now enable recording on another track and record new VO while the talent listens to the other tracks for reference. Avids and my old Cinewave could do this, Blackmagic cannot. What about AJA?

Chris Paul
POV

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Feb 8, 2007 at 11:11:04 pm

your pop and crackle has to do with the lack of genlock, or a poor genlock source, or not using the same black signal to lock both the Kona 3 and your VTR. You can demonstrate the pop and crackle by simpy using the Kona Control panel, and switching between free run and Ext Ref.

bob Zelin

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
on Feb 9, 2007 at 12:24:27 am

[Bob Zelin] "your pop and crackle has to do with the lack of genlock, or a poor genlock source, or not using the same black signal to lock both the Kona 3 and your VTR."

Not here. We have the same blackburst feeding all three VTR's and the Kona and we get the crackle all the time no matter how Ref In is set. Just stop and start playback to get rid of it. Hopefully it will get tracked down at some point.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.

Return to posts index

Don Wilson
on Feb 10, 2007 at 2:25:36 am

I agree with Bob that black busrt is essential to fixing this problem. In fact Bob suggested that I put a black burst into my Kona 3 and it did drastically reduce the pops and crackles though it will raise it's ugly head now and then. AJA thinks it's mostly occurs in 24 fps projects when the Kona has to re-clock to 24. There are used BB generators available pretty cheap.

Don Wilson
MississippiSon.com

Return to posts index

Don Wilson
on Feb 10, 2007 at 2:26:01 am

I agree with Bob that black busrt is essential to fixing this problem. In fact Bob suggested that I put a black burst into my Kona 3 and it did drastically reduce the pops and crackles though it will raise it's ugly head now and then. AJA thinks it's mostly occurs in 24 fps projects when the Kona has to re-clock to 24. There are used BB generators available pretty cheap.

Don Wilson
MississippiSon.com

Return to posts index

Joe Murray
on Feb 9, 2007 at 2:46:49 am

compared to the Kona 2 on a dual 2.7 system, yes I do have more audio static. I've gotten pretty good at hitting option F12, or whatever the quickkey is for "Refresh AV Devices" under the View menu.

Joe Murray

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]