FORUMS: list search recent posts

Preferred SD camera setting for upconversion to HD

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Simon Sommerfeld
Preferred SD camera setting for upconversion to HD
on Feb 7, 2007 at 6:48:17 pm

Hi Kona experts,

We're setting up to shoot a SD training video initially destined for SD DVD. Camera is a SD Canon XL2 which can shoot native 16:9 in 24P, 24PA, 30P and 60i. Editing tools include Kona2 and FCP Studio 5.1.

I'd like to plan ahead for a possible future upconverion to HD (for delivery on HD DVD or BluRay). Upconversion tools are Kona2 and FCP Studio 5.1.

I have two questions:
1. With SD DVD production in mind, what is the preferred camera setting from the above choices.
2. With HD upconverion in mind, what is the preferred camera setting (from the above choices).

Hopefully, the preferred setting will be the same for both delivery formats.

Many thanks!
Simon

Simon Sommefeld
Redwood City CA

Return to posts index

Wayne Carey
Re: Preferred SD camera setting for upconversion to HD
on Feb 8, 2007 at 3:24:17 pm

[Simon Sommerfeld] "Camera is a SD Canon XL2 which can shoot native 16:9 in 24P, 24PA, 30P and 60i."

Before we start, my company owned two of these cameras a couple of years ago and neither one shot 24p, 24pA, 30p or 60i. The XL2 can only shoot 29.97 and I'm not too sure that it could shoot 30 non-drop frame, I could be wrong on this one. BUT I do know that it could NOT shoot 24p, 24pA, or 30p. Canon had a special mode called Frame mode. It was a simulated 30p with no support of 24p Frame mode.

SO.... if your planning a shoot with this camera and you want a film look, the Frame mode is your only choice. But let me tell you this up front, XL2 footage that has been uprezed to HD doesn't look good at all.

Personally, I would suggest that you get your hands on a Sony HDV camera like the A1U, FX1, FX7, Z1U or the new V1U cameras. Any of these cameras will do exactly the thing you want for the same price as the XL2 was when you purchased it. These cameras have a price range of $2500 to $5000. This is a very worthy investment for your type of video production. It is much better to shoot in HD and downconvert to SD so that later you have the option of redigitizing in HD with the proper video.

Please consider this...

Wayne Carey
Schazam Productions
http://www.schazamproductions.com

Return to posts index

Simon Sommerfeld
Re: Preferred SD camera setting for upconversion to HD
on Feb 8, 2007 at 4:04:11 pm

Thanks for your reply, Wayne.

Sorry, but are you sure you're not referring to the XL1 or Xl1s? They worked in the frame mode as you mentioned. The XL2 does actually shoot in progressive (not frame) mode and lays it out to tape over 29.97. In 24PA (advanced) mode it flags the pulldown for removal in post.

The project I'm posting should be shot in HD of course, and I've advised that, but the director owns the camera and that is the camera he'll shoot with. So, I'm exploring the best options for working within these parameters.

Best,
Simon.

Simon Sommefeld
Redwood City CA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]