FORUMS: list search recent posts

Kona LH and Pansonic 23.98 Problems

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Yidahartha
Kona LH and Pansonic 23.98 Problems
on Jan 30, 2007 at 6:57:19 pm

Hi there,

First off, I wanted to thank everyone for their advice in my recent purchase of a Kona LH card. It installed easily and is for the most part working extremely well. I acquired a Sony PHM monitor to use for color-correction and have already blasted through several HDV projects flawlessly. My problem is getting an output from a simple 23.98 project shot with the Panasonic DVX 100A. I get normal throughput with my firewire playback, but I want to use my Kona and Sony for accurate color correction. I've tried every output option from the Kona menus and am guessing that it's a 24p/23.98 issues going out. Any thoughts?

Return to posts index

JeremyG
Re: Kona LH and Pansonic 23.98 Problems
on Jan 30, 2007 at 8:22:48 pm

DId you capture with advance pulldown removal or no? If no, then just set your Kona to the regular AJA Kona 8 bit to dv NTSC easy setup and away you go.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Yidahartha
on Jan 31, 2007 at 1:13:46 am

Yes. The capture was done with the advanced pulldown and the project is running in a 23.98 sequence in FCP. It plays just fine through Firewire out into my deck and throught that into a television. The issue is in playing through the Kona LH into my color-correction monitor through component in.

Return to posts index

gary adcock
on Jan 30, 2007 at 9:35:45 pm

[Yidahartha] "but I want to use my Kona and Sony for accurate color correction. I've tried every output option from the Kona menus and am guessing that it's a 24p/23.98 issues going out. Any thoughts?"

You cannot set 23.98 as a PLAYBACK format in NTSC the video out must be set to 29.97 there is not a way to see 24p played out except in HD.

the Video Out should be set to AJA Kona LH: 525 29.97

gary adcock
Studio37
HD & Film Consultation
Post and Production Workflows

Return to posts index

Yidahartha
on Jan 31, 2007 at 2:18:01 am

That makes sense. If I create a new 29.97 sequence and place the project in there (and render it), will that allow me an accurate representation for color-correction? I could bring the corrected material back into a 23.98 project for final output.

Return to posts index

gary adcock
on Jan 31, 2007 at 3:58:17 am

[Yidahartha] "hat makes sense. If I create a new 29.97 sequence and place the project in there (and render it), will that allow me an accurate representation for color-correction? "

Don't do that.

Just set the Video Out to 29.97 to allow the Kona card to add the pulldown to your existing 23.98 seq. that is all you need to do. It does a far better job than FCP does. ALL of this is in the kona manual and on the aja web site.

gary adcock
Studio37
HD & Film Consultation
Post and Production Workflows

Return to posts index

Yidahartha
on Jan 31, 2007 at 6:39:59 pm

Gotcha, however, when I use the 29.97 settings although it technically plays smoothly, the left and right sides of the frame are switched with an overlao in the middle and the color is very washed out? I've tried repatching the monitor with no luck. Suggestions?

thanks

Return to posts index

Yidahartha
on Feb 2, 2007 at 12:51:39 am

Thanks to everyone who posted replies to my earlier problem. The folks at AJA are looking into the situation and never heard of anything like it. Very strange. The new Kona LH card corks great with everything except your basic DV NTSC be it 29.97 or 23.98. They're stumped too. I'll post their findings when I hear back.

Thanks again,

Eric

Return to posts index

Yidahartha
on Feb 2, 2007 at 12:51:45 am

Thanks to everyone who posted replies to my earlier problem. The folks at AJA are looking into the situation and never heard of anything like it. Very strange. The new Kona LH card corks great with everything except your basic DV NTSC be it 29.97 or 23.98. They're stumped too. I'll post their findings when I hear back.

Thanks again,

Eric

Return to posts index

Yidahartha
on Feb 2, 2007 at 12:52:06 am

Thanks again,

Eric

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]