FORUMS: list search recent posts

Which camera hard drive works well with FCP

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Steve Martin
Which camera hard drive works well with FCP
on Jan 30, 2007 at 5:08:28 pm

Hello all,

I have a JVC DV5000 (and plan to purchase a yet to be decided HDV camera) in the near future. I want to purchase a hard drive to attach to my camera to capture the video file as it's being recorded to tape. The idea is to eliminate the capture process for post as well as creating a backup of my raw footage as I shoot.

I looked at the Focus Enhancements website and their product doesn't appear to be compatible with FCP. Seems odd - did I misread or misunderstand the chart? I want to buy one that makes it easy and fast to import into FCP without any transcoding or conversions.

A few questions:

1) What products play nice with FCP and can anybody share experiences?
2) Does the timecode from the tape match the file from the hard drive?
3) If I edit from the imported file and later need to re-capture the project from the original tapes are there any problems with that workflow?

For example, I'll be doing final post on an indi film that the director will be doing an HDV offline cut (native HDV codec) on his macbook then we'll be doing the final edit in our suite (MacPro, Kona3) in the DVCProHD100 codec. So my hope is to open the offline edit session and re-capture from the original HDV tapes via my convergent design converter as DVCProHD files.

I can't really test this workflow until I get my hands on a hard drive.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Steve

Production is fun - but lets not forget: Nobody ever died on the video table!

Return to posts index

gary adcock
Re: Which camera hard drive works well with FCP
on Jan 30, 2007 at 5:45:08 pm

[Steve Martin] "I looked at the Focus Enhancements website and their product doesn't appear to be compatible with FCP."

I think you misread the site - I have used the Focus products with 4 different cameras - all with FCP. At Sundance I was working with the latest model of the FS100 which captured 720p24 flawlessly from the JVC cameras in native QT files with the redundant frames removed. ( this version is a software update to be released prior to NAB)

I have used the Firestore products with JVC, Panasonic, and Sony HD cameras.

gary adcock
Studio37
HD & Film Consultation
Post and Production Workflows

Return to posts index

Steve Martin
on Jan 31, 2007 at 12:45:58 pm

Thanks Gary,

I looked at the site again and you're right. If it were a snake, it would of bit me!

Steve

Return to posts index

Steve Martin
on Jan 31, 2007 at 12:47:59 pm

Gary,

Have you ever used a workflow similar to the example I posted (i.e recapturing from the original tape source using a different codec)?

Thanks,
Steve

Return to posts index

gary adcock
on Jan 31, 2007 at 4:30:38 pm

[Steve Martin] "Have you ever used a workflow similar to the example I posted (i.e recapturing from the original tape source using a different codec)?"

Steve
I do it all the time with any number of formats-

Your Kona Card allows you to capture HDcam as DVCProHD or as DV
or bring in that Beta and upconvert it to HD ( over HDSDI with the K2 and K3 Cards)

gary adcock
Studio37
HD & Film Consultation
Post and Production Workflows

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]