FORUMS: list search recent posts

Advice on capturing Beta SP footage

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
jnorman16
Advice on capturing Beta SP footage
on Jan 28, 2007 at 6:07:43 pm

First, thanks to those who helped with my previous post on which Beta SP deck to rent. Very helpful. The director is coming by with the tapes and deck tomorrow, so I'm trying to make sure it will go smoothly. There's a first time for everything. Here's what I'm thinking I need to do.

First, I'll use the Kona Control Panel and set the Video Input to be Analog and "Component (Beta)". And I'll set the Audio Input to be "AES/EBU (XLR)". I think that's all I need to set up here.

Second, in Final Cut Pro, I think I set the Capture Preset to "AJA Kona LH: 525 23.98 8 Bit" since the footage was telecine'd from 35mm film. I could try 29.97 8 Bit if that doesn't work.

Next I need to set the Device Control Presets. Lots of AJA choices here, but my fisrt guess would be "AJA Kona LH: 23.98 Sony VTR".

Finally, my Sequence Preset would be "AJA Kona LH: 525 23.98 8 Bit".

And I think that's it. Any corrections or better suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Jim

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
Re: Advice on capturing Beta SP footage
on Jan 28, 2007 at 9:48:38 pm

Jim -
there is no way to say this politely - you are way over your head.

Replies below -

First, thanks to those who helped with my previous post on which Beta SP deck to rent.
First, I'll use the Kona Control Panel and set the Video Input to be Analog and "Component (Beta)". And I'll set the Audio Input to be "AES/EBU (XLR)". I think that's all I need to set up here.

REPLY - AES/EBU is for DIGITAL AUDIO. If you are renting an analog Beta VTR, like a UVW-1800, PVW2800 or BVW-75, this is ANALOG. If you have a Kona LH or LHe or LS, you select ANALOG AUDIO. If you have a Kona 3 - you CANNOT input from the Beta VTR - you have the wrong AJA board.

Second, in Final Cut Pro, I think I set the Capture Preset to "AJA Kona LH: 525 23.98 8 Bit" since the footage was telecine'd from 35mm film. I could try 29.97 8 Bit if that doesn't work.

REPLY -
Beta VTR's DO NOT WORK at 23.98. There is no such thing as an analog video transfer at 23.98. This is for HD decks only that can handle 23.98 footage. You must work at 29.97. I have no idea of how your film transfer was done.

Next I need to set the Device Control Presets. Lots of AJA choices here, but my fisrt guess would be "AJA Kona LH: 23.98 Sony VTR".

REPLY - this is wrong. You are NOT going to use 23.98 with an analog Beta VTR, as only HD VTR's can work at 23.98. If you have an analog Beta VTR, you must operate at 29.97.

Finally, my Sequence Preset would be "AJA Kona LH: 525 23.98 8 Bit".

REPLY - Again, incorrect.

And I think that's it. Any corrections or better suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

REPLY -
I URGE you to hire someone to assist you, as you will be in DEEP TROUBLE during this session with out assistance. If you are starting a supervised job, with a paying client, you will look like a fool to your client without help from someone- and your client will not wait for a response back from someone on Creative Cow, if something goes wrong.

Jim -
I have been doing this stuff for a long time. I have never set up an AVID Unity shared storage system, although I build video systems all day long. I would NEVER enter a paying client situation, and try to setup an AVID Unity, with support from someone that knows what he is doing, and could assist me.

Sorry, but true -

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]