FORUMS: list search recent posts

projects from Blackmagic to Kona

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Sean Davison
projects from Blackmagic to Kona
on Jan 26, 2007 at 8:49:05 pm

Any ideas why when I transfer a project from My Quad G5 with a blackmagic card to my Intel with a Kona LE wierd stuff happens

The sequence that the Kona displays in the playout monitor wont show any changes made in the Canvas window. If I resize a clip from the transferred sequence the Canvas shows the clip resizing but the HD Monitor stays unchanged.

If I copy the sequence into a new sequence the problem goes away but so do any render files which on a 50 minute fx heavy project is a right pain.

I thought (hoped) these two cards were interchangeable.

Im using the Apple DVC ProHD Codec.

Return to posts index

John Pale
Re: projects from Blackmagic to Kona
on Jan 26, 2007 at 9:46:42 pm

Its probably because the Kona card handles the DVCPRO HD scaling in hardware (its an anamorphic format), which is normally a good thing, as it gives you more realtime capability, but the Blackmagic Decklink card does not do this (it uses software based scaling). The rendering may have to be done differently for the two cards in DVCPRO HD. Just a guess.

AJA would know the answer for sure...worth a call.

Return to posts index

JeremyG
on Jan 26, 2007 at 9:57:48 pm

[Sean Davison] " but so do any render files which on a 50 minute fx heavy project is a right pain."

But that's why you got the intel right? Blazing fast, no?

It sounds to me like you don't have the correct easy setup selected, or, your canvas is not set to fit to window.

If that doesn't work, then trashing your render files should be the next step. It'll save you time in the long run. You are not only changing capture cards, you are changing workstations and binary builds as well. That's not exactly an easy switch.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Sean Davison
on Jan 26, 2007 at 10:22:20 pm

How do I get the Kona to handle FCP fx? - I only get the FCP option in the pull down in the effect handling tab.

Return to posts index

JeremyG
on Jan 26, 2007 at 10:25:39 pm

It doesn't work with FCP like blackmagic does. The Kona only allow FCP to handle the fx.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Sean Davison
on Jan 26, 2007 at 10:40:28 pm

Thanks Jeremy

Does the sequence have to be an AJA DVCproHD sequence for the accelleration or will it work just as well with an Apple DVCProHD sequence?

Return to posts index

JeremyG
on Jan 26, 2007 at 11:24:46 pm

I see what you are saying now about the Kona accelerating DVCPRO HD, that's done automagically and you don't have to set anything extra for that. The AJA DVCPro HD easy setups use the Apple DVCPro HD codec so you should select the AJA Kona LH 720p23.98 Varicam (or whatever resolution and frame rate you are working in) and away you go.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Sean Davison
on Jan 27, 2007 at 3:22:14 pm

Cant wait to try it on Monday!!!!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]