FORUMS: list search recent posts

Lipsync issue on G5/KonaLH

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
christopherk
Lipsync issue on G5/KonaLH
on Jan 25, 2007 at 7:48:08 pm

We 2 G5's that record a great deal of DV content to a couple of 500GB firewire drives. We're using the KonaLH to achieve this. Some of the clips (which are generally about 10 minutes apiece) record fine while some of them end up with a pretty serious lipsync issue.

Originally, I thought it was a heat issue, but after talking with the AJA guys they think it's the firewire drive. Here's my odd question:

The Kona is in the 133MHz slot. Is it possible that the Firewire ports and 133MHz are on the same bus, and therefore conflicting? Anyone else ever seen this kind of lipsync issue?

Thanks!
Chris

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Lipsync issue on G5/KonaLH
on Jan 26, 2007 at 5:14:13 am

How are you capturing? Live to drive using the DV codec?

The PCI slots and the firewire slots are all on different busses (well, two PCI slots share a bus...2 and 3). But the issue might be the drive itself. Firewire 400? FW800? Anything else on the firewire ports?

Try a different drive?

Shane

Littlefrog Post
http://www.lfhd.net

Return to posts index

christopherk
Re: Lipsync issue on G5/KonaLH
on Jan 26, 2007 at 11:44:04 am

Yeah, it's a Firewire 800 drive, the FantomDrive Triple Interface to be exact. I'm capturing from SDI/Analog Audio to DV on the Firewire drive. I've turned off all power-management, so the drive won't go to sleep or anything, but it still has the problem. There's no rhyme or reason to it. About 1/3 of the clips captured have this problem, but the other 2/3 are perfect. When I did the read/write test on the system tester... it showed a pretty sluggish start on the write part, and then it would get up to speed. Is there anyway to get that rate up a bit, or am I SOL? My backup plan is to record to the system drive and have a script or a folder action move any non-open file to the firewire, and have it run the operation every minute so it doesn't fill up the drive.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]