FORUMS: list search recent posts

DVCPRO HD 720p60 & 1080i Sync Issues - Drop Frame & Non Drop Frame

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
dank_elly
DVCPRO HD 720p60 & 1080i Sync Issues - Drop Frame & Non Drop Frame
on Jan 24, 2007 at 12:16:24 am

I have about 160 reels of footage shot at 720p60 DropFrame. After the studio decided to shoot this way it came around that we would then be sending it out at 1080i and other media for the season was being sent in at 1080i aswell. So with all of the 720p60 footage we set up a few Panasonic Aj-Hd1400 decks, which have a nice SDI upcoverter built in. Set them up 422 with the SDI upconvert going to 1080i 29.97. Then the issues started to rise. Originally when the 720p DF footage was captured it was done through firewire and SDI, but the issue was between FCP and the codec. The codec was never meant to be drop frame, but the cameras would all allow you to setup that way. So all of the footage got shot, it got logged and then captured at 720p60. What wasn't know or made clear was that 720p can be shot in drop frame, but Neither Apple or Panasonic had made the software or decks able to handle it. When it gets captured it then converts itself by default of FCP to a non dropframe TC base. So once the media is then in FCP it's TC is in nondrop frame, but when you want to use the same logging info to say recapture the media at 1080i DROPFRAME, you then get the issue of the century.... You must then look back at your original logging info and see it in the offline state, you've logged it in 720p60 dropframe, the TC is in the dropframe state while it's offline. When you go to capture this footage at 720p60 it then automatically changes to non dropframe. WHAT! This is because of the 720p60 codec only being designed and supported as a non dropframe codec. But when you look at your original logged in and out points to the captured media in and out points it's shifted because of the conversion between nondrop and drop. Then if you use the same logging information to say recapture that 720p60 footage as 1080i 29.97 you must go and make sure that you change each clip from nondrop frame to DROP FRAME, and make sure the duration is set to be 60@30, this can be done by right clicking on the media in & out sections. But after you've done that, then the recapturing should have it's TC converted to a drop frame state, so now you can use the information that came from the 720p60 nondrop media and convert it to a dropframe state for your capture to be in sync with your recapture of 1080i 29.97 in a drop frame state. SOOO after all that, my issue now is setting up 160 tapes to recapture, but I don't want to have to manually click on all these clips to change to drop frame and 60@30. So if any of you HD guru's out there have been this deep into the mess let me know!

dank,
vancouver, bc

Return to posts index

gary adcock
Re: DVCPRO HD 720p60 & 1080i Sync Issues - Drop Frame & Non Drop Frame
on Jan 25, 2007 at 3:33:32 pm

[dank_elly] "The codec was never meant to be drop frame, but the cameras would all allow you to setup that way"

Codec's are agnostic to frame issues - cameras use to be set in non drop whiel all the editor would be in drop frame.

maybe it' that the 24p content is Non-drop and you are not extracting the redundant frames before doing your conversions.

gary adcock
Studio37
HD & Film Consultation
Post and Production Workflows

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]